Test with 15V Alim . Resistor has burnt . Why ??

Started by manu698, September 08, 2014, 04:23:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manu698

Hi.

I have a SDD300 clone pedal I have build (Dirk Hendrick schematic)
The pedal runs perfectly with a pedal alim (9V/120mA isolated output on pedal alim, so as with individuall 9V/500mA )

I have found a 15V/1000mA in my stuff and I decided to gave it a try , even if I was not sure it would work.

I have tested, and it doesn't work  ::) . The resistor directly at the input of DC feed has burnt immediately. Totally burnt (black color)
it is a 22 ohm / 1/4W.
I suppose it didn't like all the 1000 mA (??) and has overheated, but I would like to better understand.
Or it is maybe a polarity problem (with a resistor ??)

Why exactly has this resistor burnt?
What does this resistor makes exactly at this place ?

Many thanks in advance.

Fender3D

Quote from: manu698 on September 08, 2014, 04:23:14 AM
What does this resistor makes exactly at this place ?

Maybe it's waiting for schematic link?  :icon_rolleyes:
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

R.G.

As a very raw guess, the polarity of your 15V supply is backwards, and the protection diode in ypur pedal is placing most of that 15V across the resistor.

But there is no way to give you anything except a very crude guess unless you post a schematic.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

manu698

manu698

I didn't think at first about the polarity inversion, but I really think it could be the cause.

What else could have been damaged then ? I d'ont see anything special. All other Resistor value are correct .
Diode D5 ?
Condensator C9  / C5 ?

I like this pedal and will order parts for fixing it for sure.
;)

merlinb

Quote from: manu698 on September 08, 2014, 09:17:22 AM
I didn't think at first about the polarity inversion, but I really think it could be the cause.

What else could have been damaged then ?
Probably nothing else is damaged. The resistor acted as a fuse, which is a good thing!

manu698