COT 50 Parallel Cap to Diode

Started by Slingblade, September 11, 2014, 10:47:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slingblade

Hi , New in the forum and in Pedal building.

I Use this schematic http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.ca/2010/02/lovepedal-cot50.html

I just finish my clone of COT 50, with one 2N5088 and 2 1N60P

The pedal sound Ok, but i want to cut some High and Make it sound fatter, but not affect the tone of the amp

Clock of Tone 50 put a 0.047uf in parallel with the Diode ? Is this Bypass the diode too much ?

Or , should put a bigger Capacitor at the input ?

Thanks !

duck_arse

hello, slingblade. yr link didn't work, but never mind.

you can increase the input cap to let more bass in. you can increase the 100nF output cap to let more bass out. you can increase the 47nF across the diodes, but as you go higher, you'll lose output level. perhaps try a 10k resistor fitted between the 100nF cap and the diodes/output lead. also the lower level clipping you get with germanium diodes makes the sound fizzzie, so maybe 1N914/4148's are worth a try.
don't make me draw another line.

Slingblade

Hey duck_arse !
Thanks for the answer, pretty complete

My first move gonna be to increase the input Cap 0.0047 to 0.047.

Not sure i'll gonna bypass or not the diode. Maybe a 0.022 it'll be ok to not lose gain.

I'll gonna try this 2 mod first and give some new's about it !

Thanks !

Slingblade

OK,

I did the 0.047uf swap i like it ans keep it

now for the 0.022uf it cut high and sizell but i'll gonna try a 0.01uf... it'will be inbetween...

Slingblade

Ok, only the 0.047uf at the input do the trick

Someone propose to put  1n5818 (1A Schottky Diode) insted of the 1N60P ?

Someone can explain difference and how that will affect the sound ?

Regards

thelonious

Not all 1N60P's are germanium; some are schottky and look a lot like 1N914/1N4148 silicon diodes (small brown glass package). If you have schottky 1N60P diodes in there now, you might not notice that much difference in switching to 1N5818 diodes. If you have germanium 1N60P diodes now and switch to schottky, the clipping forward voltage would probably be lower and harder---not the direction you were talking about. I think duck_arse's advice about trying 1N914/1N4148 diodes might be a better way to go.

bool

try a 1n4148 + 1n5818 combo with a 3n3 capacitor in parallel (or 4n7).

Mark Hammer

Stick a 1k-5k linear pot between the diodes and ground, and use the wiper and one of the outside lugs (doesn't really matter which).  As the resistance is increased from 0 ohms, the clipping becomes less pronounced, and the output level also increases.  This will let you stay with the diodes you have, and achieve a wide range of clipping intensity.