First time decal on a pedal!

Started by helloesposito, September 11, 2014, 03:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

helloesposito

First attempt at printing waterslide decals and applying to self painted pedal, I'd say it was a success! A little off center, a couple air bubbles, but I was surprised with how well the text/graphic shows up on a fairly dark paint.

Quick demo on Instagram before boxing, will do better demo later
http://iconosquare.com/p/805404258731194193_214439252

It's just the Tayda Electra Distortion PCB, and it's got sockets for the diodes, which have one 1N914 and one 1N270

I thought at first that sanding, drilling, priming, etc. was gonna be tedious and annoying, but I really have fun doing it.
I just started making da pedals!
I'm on da Instagrams as Madgekin

bloxstompboxes

Excellent job! My first couple came out horribly. Won't go in to detail. Popping the enclosure in a toaster over at 150F for 30 min will even out the bubbles and smooth the edges. I use a clear coat on mine and then straight to the toaster oven. Works great. I got this process from beavis audio.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

haveyouseenhim

That looks fantastic, first time or not. I can tell you it will get better and easier the more you experiment.

I have found that testors one coat lacquer works great with waterslide decals.

Just make sure not to mix different types of paints. You will end up with ugly wrinkles and cracks from them drying/shrinking at different rates.
  • SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

alpine

Quote from: bloxstompboxes on September 11, 2014, 04:33:58 PM
Excellent job! My first couple came out horribly. Won't go in to detail. Popping the enclosure in a toaster over at 150F for 30 min will even out the bubbles and smooth the edges. I use a clear coat on mine and then straight to the toaster oven. Works great. I got this process from beavis audio.

Test the clearcoat first. I tried an aerosol one, and it melted the decal!

bloxstompboxes

Quote from: alpine on September 12, 2014, 02:34:17 PM
Quote from: bloxstompboxes on September 11, 2014, 04:33:58 PM

Test the clearcoat first. I tried an aerosol one, and it melted the decal!

If you spray the decal while it's already placed on the enclosure it should be ok. That melting is what softens the edges and gets rid of the bubbles. If your holes are already drilled then the decal will melt away through the hole. You won't have to cut the hole out of the decal with an exacto knife when it's done cooking. I find mine don't always melt away though. Either way, they turn out pretty good. Just make sure you shake the can well. i had a couple that raised the print on the decal and distorted it. Must be something that is in the paint that does it when it's not properly shaken.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

karbomusic

To the OP, great start! stick with it! As far as problems... I've never had bubbles or melting away using multiple types of aerosols but I suspect it is the decals I use that I get from Small Bear. They are excellent decals.

helloesposito

Thanks, guys! I just did a few more yesterday that I think are turning out real nice. I'll post when they're all done.

helloesposito

Alright, I did four more and I feel like I'm definitely getting the hang of it!

this one's gold paint got a little weird on the bottom during the clear coating. not sure why, but next time, I'll just make sure the decal covers the entire top

I was real happy with how this one looks. The reddish color on yellow paint really stands out. The only bad thing is this pedal doesn't work the way I want it to yet (still troubleshooting, which I will save for a different post if I haven't diagnosed da problem  :P)

bluesdevil

Nice work!! Are you guys baking these to speed up curing?
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

karbomusic

Quote from: helloesposito on September 19, 2014, 07:01:06 PM
Alright, I did four more and I feel like I'm definitely getting the hang of it!

I'd say you are. Nice work!

helloesposito

Quote from: bluesdevil on September 20, 2014, 01:20:52 AM

I haven't been baking yet, but hope to soon. I think most of the other dudes here do. I have a small apartment so I'll need to find a place that I can do that in.

amptramp

Quote from: helloesposito on September 20, 2014, 01:39:22 PM
Quote from: bluesdevil on September 20, 2014, 01:20:52 AM

I haven't been baking yet, but hope to soon. I think most of the other dudes here do. I have a small apartment so I'll need to find a place that I can do that in.

You should be able to bake these in a small toaster oven you could get at a thrift shop.  Stompbox building does not require a lot of capital equipment or a lot of investment.

tommycataus

For your first attempt those look awesome! I haven't had much luck with paint finishes so I'm going the etch route myself.

Karbo, May I ask, what type of clearcoat are you using? I must have asked this question a few times before but that finish you are getting is only happening in my dreams!! Some sort of lacquer? :icon_mrgreen:
"Remember, there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over." - FZ

karbomusic

Quote from: tommycataus on September 21, 2014, 01:26:17 AM

Karbo, May I ask, what type of clearcoat are you using? I must have asked this question a few times before but that finish you are getting is only happening in my dreams!! Some sort of lacquer? :icon_mrgreen:

EnviroTex. It's a self-leveling two-part epoxy like that stuff you sometimes see on restaurant or bar tables.

http://eti-usa.com/envirotex-lite/

tommycataus

"Remember, there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over." - FZ

deadastronaut

@karbo: that epoxy stuff looks great...what about the sides though?...

do you just overflow the entire thiing, then scrape the bottom edge to remove surplus when cured/dry..?..
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

karbomusic

Quote from: deadastronaut on September 22, 2014, 06:46:49 AM
@karbo: that epoxy stuff looks great...what about the sides though?...

do you just overflow the entire thiing, then scrape the bottom edge to remove surplus when cured/dry..?..

I overflow the entire thing and foam brush on the sides every so often until it sets. Sides do need a little attention, if they end up inconsistent, I lightly sand and hit them with a very light coat of spray gloss.

deadastronaut

cool...i was just curious on that.. 8)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

bluebunny

I think John D had also posted a blow-by-blow account of how to use this stuff.  I scored a pack off the Bay, but haven't got round to trying it out yet...

Edit:  No, it was Jim (mustachio).  But John posted a nice example in the Chasm thread.  The bunnyvault ain't working so good these days...   ::)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

juansolo

Through a lot of trial and error we've come up with a tex method that works for us. I documented it here:

http://juansolo.co.uk/stompage/finishing.html

All pics clickable