When buffering V+ with an Opamp do I need series resistance on the output?

Started by Bill Mountain, September 12, 2014, 11:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Mountain

For example.  I'm working on some CMOS circuits and I was consider using a pot as a voltage divider on the power supply and then buffering it to keep the varying resistance from effecting the current on the CMOS V+ pin.

My question is whether or not the opamp will be stable without a series resistor on the output of the buffer before the V+ pin of the inverter chip.

nick d

The V+ input is VERY hi- impedance , so resistor would make no difference . A capacitor from V+ to ground is a good idea , doesn't hurt to put one on the output either .

nick d

Ahhhhhh.... was thinking of the non-inverting Op-amp input .

From the Op-amp output to the CMOS supply , a small series resistor and a cap to ground is a good idea .
       If you make the resistor large , you might get " starve "  effects , which can be fun , if that's what you want !

bool

A bjt buffer (configured as a capacitance multiplier) with some added resistance in collector(!) to decouple from rails may be a better idea than using an opamp. My 2c.

Bill Mountain

Well...basically I just want to adjust the voltage to the inverter and hear the effects it has without the current being adjusted at the same time.

amptramp

As you move the bias on a CMOS device away from either rail voltage, the current through the CMOS inverter will increase to about 8 milliamps at Vcc/2 and the resistance applied to the gate inputs does not really matter.  The gate diodes only conduct if the input goes a diode drop beyond the rail voltage in either direction.  If you get 9 volts and 8 mA, you have 72 milliwatts in each inverter section that is operating in the linear mode, so don't assume CMOS will give you a low current drain.