Reverb Capacitor voltage types

Started by billysgtr, September 13, 2014, 07:45:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billysgtr

Does anybody know what voltage rate are the capacitors on byoc reverb 2?

deadastronaut

if your running it on 9vdc... 16v will be fine..

however if running on 18v go for higher...
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

billysgtr

Thanks for the answer!
Ok I understand that. Is it going to be bad or just silly  to put a 250V capacitor on a 9V circuit?  ::)
I think just silly, am I right?

vigilante397

Quote from: billysgtr on September 13, 2014, 03:29:12 PM
Thanks for the answer!
Ok I understand that. Is it going to be bad or just silly  to put a 250V capacitor on a 9V circuit?  ::)
I think just silly, am I right?

If that's what you have on hand then go for it. There's nothing wrong with having that little extra flexibility with power. I had an overdrive that I thought sounded great running at 30 volts, which was fine because the caps were rated at 50. With reverb builds using the Belton brick, however, there's no point in running it higher because you have a 5 volt regulator in there, and anything more than that will fry the brick (personal experience). The same is also true with PT399 based effects.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

mth5044

It's usually the electro's that get down into the dangerous voltage area. The film boxes and discs tend to not even be orderable in voltages we need to be concerned about. If it's a 250V electro and it fits, it isn't going to hurt anything.

billysgtr

bool

Look at it this way: if you have over-rated caps already in your posession ... and ... you want to sell this thing to someone ... you can always conceptualize your use of stupidly over-rated parts as ... "mighty mojo high-voltage capacitors for mightier tone".

You wouldn't be able to sell something like that to ME, but hey, there's plenty of other peoples who just would ....

"There's a customer born every minute" ... or something like that.

*** note that there are certain types of capacitors which plainly and simply exhibit better characteristics with higher rated voltage dielectrics, and this is documented and proven, but on the other side, it is also a highly hyped up mojo mythic topic, so there ...

billysgtr

bool

For electrolytics, a general rule of thumb is to use [your rail supply voltage] x 2 voltege rating. So for 9V circuit, you should use 18V caps, which does not exist, so you use 16V which is the nearest rating - or 25V. It is of course totally OK to use higher voltage ratings, fe. 50 or 63V...

With film caps, use 50V or 63V rating ...

No rocket science here.