Need a little LED Help from my DIY friends

Started by soupbone, September 18, 2014, 06:22:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Hammer

Quote from: soupbone on September 19, 2014, 06:52:29 AM
Quote from: soupbone on September 18, 2014, 06:22:36 AM
I've got a NTE 30043 Super Bright,Clear Blue LED.I found a cool LED+Resistor site. www.led.linear1.org/1led.wiz  There's 3 things they ask for; 1.Source Voltage 2.Diode Forward Voltage 3.Diode Forward Current  On the packaging for the NTE LED,it has some symbols.Here's the symbols; VF(forward voltage?!),VR(voltage resistance?!),PD(?),lF(forward led current?!),lV(?) I'm wondering what these symbols mean.Also,here's the data for the led.Vf-4.0Vmax---Vr-5Vmax---PD-120mW max---lf-30mA Max---lV-3500mcd Typ
One other question I had was,I have a MXR Classic Overdrive(the ones the sell at guitar center),and I put a Water Clear Bright Green LED in it.It's pretty blinding.Can you solder a resistor on the back of the PCB to bring the brightness down?

On the back?  I don't know.  Bear in mind that the "resistor" in question needs to reduce the current feeding the LED.  And soldering things onto the "back" (copper side) of a PCB is usually where we put things in parallel with what's already on there.  A parallel resistor would increase the current feeding the LED and make it even brighter.  You want to either replace the corresponding resistor with one of a higher value, or find some other means to increase the total resistance.

Looking for gutshots, I am seeing two different versions of the Class OD, one with through-hole parts, and one with a lot of SMD.  Which one do you have?

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...