Original Jordan Bosstone Repair Question

Started by grahams123, September 18, 2014, 07:13:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grahams123

Hey there folks, I own an old Jordan Bosstone.  Unfortunately one of the two knobs on the unit broke off during transit to/from a show.  I purchased a replacement knob, but when I took it apart to replace it today I had a hard time figuring out exactly how to do this.  I have a little bit of experience with soldering and basic repair, but I thought I'd see if any of you more informed individuals might be able to help me out.  Do I have to unsolder and remove the whole piece to put the knew knob over the top?  I appreciate your time and advice...

duck_arse

hello and welcome, grahams.

can you give us some more details of the breakage, maybe some photos of the broken part and the replacement causing the problem? maybe just some photos of the insides, some of us never seen in a bosstone.
don't make me draw another line.

LucifersTrip

I have a couple and I never looked fwd to replacing the knobs if they went. It's one of these jobs (below).

These pics are not from either of mine, which aren't open...but it looks like the pots unscrew from the back and the knob may be pressed on really tightly?

always think outside the box

Tony Forestiere

If you have the replacement knobs, I would use a pair of diagonal cutters and cut sections to remove the old knob. Rotate the knob to get the most purchase from each clip.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together." Carl Zwanzig
"Whoso neglects learning in his youth, loses the past and is dead for the future." Euripides
"Friends don't let friends use Windows." Me

PRR

It's a Transistor Radio pot and knob.

These varied, but in LT's pictures, I would try a very small nut-driver on the hex-head in the middle of the knob. This was usually a teeny slotted screw; maybe Jordan got a better grade of parts.
  • SUPPORTER

duck_arse

can we have a side-on shot of the pot? it looks like the shaft is hexxed, and the knob moulded on.
don't make me draw another line.

grahams123

Thanks for the feedback everybody!  I had been hesitant to mess around on my own in case I managed to damage the whole pot and need to replace it, but I figured it out today after a little tinkering.  That gold center bolt will unscrew (with a great deal of patience and finesse).  Then the new knob snapped on and I replaced the bolt, good as new.   I had been worried I needed to take it off to fix the issue, but it's working like a gem again!  Love playing with this thing, sounds great!

Relsom

I've got one of these with a broken knob. Where do you order parts from. I haven't had any luck searching the webs. I could use the whole pot since the base bakelite is chipped, but the knob itself will do the job if I could at least get that.
Thanks in advance

zombiwoof

Mahoney makes exact repros of all the original plug-into-guitar Jordan effects, as well as pedal versions, and sells all of the replacement parts.  His Bosstone is now called the Buzztone, and he has a website as well as an ebay store.  I got new knobs from him.

Al

Mahoney Ebay Store:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/fuzzzfanatic/m.html?item=232028117432&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562
Do a search for the website where they have the parts and such.

Quote from: Relsom on July 24, 2016, 07:46:05 PM
I've got one of these with a broken knob. Where do you order parts from. I haven't had any luck searching the webs. I could use the whole pot since the base bakelite is chipped, but the knob itself will do the job if I could at least get that.
Thanks in advance