HELP with adding a buffer to an existing pedal.

Started by vmazz38, September 19, 2014, 12:50:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vmazz38

Ive built both the AMZ JFET buffer and the AMZ OPamp Buffer with TL072 on vero.

Im trying to add them to an existing pedal that is at the beginning of my pedal chain. Im inserting it at the output of a Big Muff type Fuzz(Luna Fuzz).
So far(with either build, JFET or Opamp) I seem to be getting less output than unity and losing high end, which is opposite of what I expect.
I am trying to drive my chain a bit as im losing some clarity with all my True Bypass pedals.

DOes anyone have suggestions on where you insert bypasses and exactly how you wire them in. There is a lot about the layouts for stand alone etc But not on inserting them into an existing 3pdt true bypass pedal. I assumed you could just put between the in tip and 3pdt or vice versa the out tip and the 3pdt. Any help is appreciated. :icon_confused:
Stompboxes are great , they usually can't kill ya like a tube amp!

vmazz38

Just to help clarify. I am trying to insert between either the input tip and switch or output tip and switch, ground on the jack ground and 9v on the dc jack+.So the in of the buffer would connect to the input jack and out would go to the switch for inserting in front of the effect. Or the input of buffer would connect to the switch and the output would go to the output jack tip?  Basically in place of the red wire (in front of effect) or the purple wire(after the effect).

Ill try to link a 3pdt pic.

karbomusic

It really depends on what you want buffered and when. I built a couple buffers in 1590A boxes and just place them wherever needed which is what I would suggest (assuming it's not a problem) unless the buffering is specifically needed for the pedal you are putting it into. That way you can always move things around later and have more choices.

vmazz38

I like the suggestion. I was just trying to get away with sharing power from the dc adapter supply and saving space on the board.

karbomusic

Quote from: vmazz38 on September 19, 2014, 06:11:37 PM
I like the suggestion. I was just trying to get away with sharing power from the dc adapter supply and saving space on the board.

Understood and makes sense. I was at the same crossroads a while back so I thought I'd put it out there just in case. :)

anchovie

Your idea is sound - put the buffer straight after the input jack and before the switch and it'll be in the signal path whether the effect is on or off. If things sound bad with this done, you've either built both buffers wrong somehow (picked up the wrong bag of resistors by mistake?) or the wiring of the buffer/effect combo is wrong. Gonna have to go through what might seem like the obvious here, but do the buffers work fine on their own? Can you post test voltages as per the debugging sticky?
Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.