Storage \ Organizers - opinions?

Started by lmorse, September 19, 2014, 03:25:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lmorse

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for component storage \ organisers. Cheap is good! At the moment I have a 4 drawer plastic box - it takes ages to find the correct value each time I have to search through,
;)

Lee

Elijah-Baley

I started to build pedals few months ago, and that is a problem for me, because I don't have garage nor basement. I have all my tool in a box, and I unpack everytime I have to work, on a little table in the living room when I'm alone.
I separated components of each project in plastic bag. All resistors are in one plastic bag. Socket pin, wires, stripboard and similar stuff in a parcel of Tayda. The rest of component, some capacitors or other stuff wating of utilization in another parcel, but are just few stuff, because I bought, except the last order, following the single project.

Somebody else could be useful to us.  ;)
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

kaycee

Take a look in the pictures thread, show off your work space/ bench and you'll see lots of ideas. I have a small stack of drawers that  I have put dividers in and components are in card boxes from tea bags etc that fit in those slots. I don't like the little plastic tray organisers, the boxes are too small half the time, and seem to love all falling out and getting mixed up. What you use depends on your space and if you can leave it out, or if like many you work on the kitchen table and need to clear it after each session.

GGBB

If you want really cheap, go with bags.  I also have to pull everything out when necessary to work at my desk (no workbench) so initially I used to have a large zip bag for each component type (resistors, capacitors, ...) and within each of those I had each value in its own little bag.  All the little bags were labelled.  If you have a lot of values, separate the component type bags into ranges and label them.  If the outer bag is big enough, it is possible to do a reasonable job of keeping the small inner bags in order.  Short of proper bins/drawers (which I now have) it works pretty well and is definitely very cheap.
  • SUPPORTER

tommycataus

Over the past couple of years I have gradually accumulated those flat fishing tackle boxes with adjustable compartments and small sets of drawers along with various cheap tupperware style boxes. I've read of people using folders with inserts for credit cards or coin collecting for flat components such as resistors. I haven't seen one yet, but I was trying to keep an eye out for one of those old sewing boxes with all  the compartments...
"Remember, there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over." - FZ

No-Talent-Wanker

I keep all my small passive components in individual coin envelopes (by value) stored in 3"x5" index card boxes like these:

http://www.staples.com/Staples-Index-Card-Case-Assorted-Colors-Each/product_563449

These are stored in wooden drawers that were originally intended for CD collections that I bought at a second-hand shop. Pots, switches, jacks etc. are stored in 3"x5" index card files like these:

http://www.staples.com/Staples-3-inch-x-5-inch-Index-Card-File/product_122051

... not trying to promote that office supply chain, in fact you can find stuff cheaper elsewhere....

These also fit nicely in the wooden drawers.

DIP chips, trannys etc. are stored in a separate flat box. The chips are stored inside those rail tubes that Jamco sells:

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_29516_-1

The end caps are sold separately.

duck_arse

type this into googoo :
"bunnings storage organiser drawers"
(good luck with their website ....) that's what to look for, but buy it somewhere else.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

PRR

> a 4 drawer plastic box

Just for resistors, I used a *12* drawer.

This gives 0.1-1, 1-10, 10-100, 100-1K,... 100K-1Meg, 1Meg+, plus two for odd-balls.

Capacitors cover a similar range of values and a very wide range of Voltage. More than 12 drawers would be good.

> googoo : "bunnings storage organiser drawers"

Bunnings seems to be a down-under store. (Ah, I see you say buy it elsewhere.)

In the US, "Arko Mills" was the leading brand for such screw-drawers, though lately I see more generic imports.

Another useful bin is the *cheapest* stacking drawer-organizer bins in the discount kitchen supply aisles. I've bought 3/$1 and seen 8/$1. Get a whole lot. Must be "stacking" so when you have just a few resistors in the bottom the pile stays compact. (When you collect enough that the pile wants to topple, then go spend for the good racked drawer-units.)

Harbor Freight and Northern Industries (in the US) also carry the drawer units. Sometimes you can get them with 999-piece assortment of cheap screws and cotter-pins for not much more than the drawers cost.
  • SUPPORTER

lmorse

Quote>  googoo : "bunnings storage organiser drawers"

Lucky, I live down under!

;)

CodeMonk

I use these:

Some larger and more (and some ugly stuff as well) :
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/CodeMonk/library/Workshop?sort=3&page=1

I usually get them at hardware stores like Lowes or something.
$10 or so each.

davent

Cut down cardboard Ikea magazine holders for 3x5" ziplocs, some people use cut down cereal boxes, will hold thousands of resistors.

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

CodeMonk

Quote from: davent on September 19, 2014, 11:27:47 PM
Cut down cardboard Ikea magazine holders for 3x5" ziplocs, some people use cut down cereal boxes, will hold thousands of resistors.

There's an electronics parts store near here (Well, 60+ miles, but we consider that local in these parts) that sells variety packs of resistors (10 ohm - 10M or something , total quantity of like 1000), packaged just like that for like $10
Sorted and each bag labeled
Very handy.

lmorse

QuoteCut down cardboard Ikea magazine holders for 3x5" ziplocs, some people use cut down cereal boxes, will hold thousands of resistors.
Very nice idea. I can see myself using something like this.

kaycee

Shoe boxes are good too, stack nicely and aren't too big to lose stuff in. If you have a female in the house then you will find that there is an almost limitless supply of these ;D

duck_arse

Quote from: CodeMonk on September 19, 2014, 11:07:24 PM

Some larger and more (and some ugly stuff as well) :
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/CodeMonk/library/Workshop?sort=3&page=1

(Mr monk, I'm sure that plastic bucket thing is a bubble etcher, but it looks so much like a sick birthday cake, with candles.)

and lmorse, it's amazing the details you can find in people's profiles.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

bloxstompboxes

Harbor Freight had some large flat casess with lids and multiple sized compartments that could be moved around within the same case or, if you buy more than one like me, put all of one size in one case and the others in another. The larger compartments are perfect for the resistor bags from smallbear. You can fit several bags of 200 resistors each in one compartment. I used one case for resistors, one for caps, one for transistors and ics, and another for pots and jacks etc. The trays have locking latches on the front like a tool box to keep them secure and a carrying handle. You can stack them on top of each other or stand them up side by side. I think they were yellow and black... I am partially color blind.

Oh looky, I found them: http://www.harborfreight.com/19-bin-portable-parts-storage-case-93928.html

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

lmorse

QuoteHarbor Freight had some large flat cases with lids and multiple sized compartments

They look very sturdy and secure, $7.99 doesn't seem to bad. The 'Heath Robinson' touch of cereal boxes and zip-locks appeals to my nature though!

smallbearelec

I don't know how to continuously market the fact that the Cave has a pretty decent selection of organizers (that I use myself):

http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Categories?category=Supplies+and+Storage

at fairly competitive prices. You will also find some other useful shop bits there--even Q-Tips. We will gladly pack an organizer with other things that you want...let us know.

Regards
SD

antonis

Quote from: CodeMonk on September 19, 2014, 11:07:24 PM
I use these:

THE BEST WAY..!!!
(as long as the drawers slide smooth and free - otherwise you should have a wall full of mounting holes.. :icon_lol:)

A cheap solution is to (find and) use empty plastic cases of srews and nuts like below:

but it doesn't guarranty that you have an "ORGANIZED"  :icon_biggrin: lab...

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

tubegeek

Quote from: antonis on September 24, 2014, 08:56:51 AM
but it doesn't guarranty that you have an "ORGANIZED"  :icon_biggrin: lab...

That's not too bad - I would have no trouble finding the air compressor in your space!
"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR