component problems

Started by Sahiru, September 21, 2014, 05:47:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sahiru

Hey...
I am new to guiter pedal building.. and i met with some problems on my projects..
1) I wanted to build a colour sound sustainer pedal. http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electronics/schemview.php?id=315 
and the BC169B is very hard to find in my country.. Can you please suggest me with equivalent transistors?

2) And i want to build this fuzz pedal.. http://www.instructables.com/id/Fuzz-Pedal/
In this fuzz pedal there are two types of Potentiometers. Linear Taper Potentiometers and Audio Taper Potentiometer
Can I use general potentiometers for them??

3) 2N3904  is also very hard to find... any equivalent for that???

Thank you very much

italianguy63

Maybe 2N5089 for both answers...  MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

Sahiru

Thank you. by the way what about those potentiometers?

+i don't know how to use forums. lol :-D

Seljer

Depending on where you're located you might also find it easier to get something out of the following:    BC107, BC108 , BC109, BC337, BC338, BC546, BC547, BC548, BC549, BC550 or maybe even the older 2N2222
The data sheets for all of them basically say "general purpose NPN transistor", some have slightly more gain or less noise or higher voltage ratings than others but they should all work in a 9V fuzz pedal. Just remember to check the pinouts when you're putting at all together!

Audio taper potentiometers are usually labelled "A"
Linear taper potentiometers are usually labelled "B"
I say usually because some manufacturers use a different system which makes everything a bit confusing :P http://www.resistorguide.com/potentiometer-taper/
So a 10kiloohm linear taper potentiometer would be marked "10kB" or perhaps "B10k"

Worst case if you get the taper wrong you'll get less smooth range of control but the circuit should function nevertheless.

smallbearelec

Quote from: Sahiru on September 21, 2014, 05:47:40 AM
i want to build this fuzz pedal.. http://www.instructables.com/id/Fuzz-Pedal/

This design is basically a silicon Fuzz Face. So, yes, numerous common transistor types will work. That said, the Instructable does not offer a layout drawing that shows clearly the wiring on the board--major mistake, as some of the comments posted make clear. Don't use the Radio Shack jacks recommended; unless they have been drastically improved, they are known to come apart when tightened.

Don't try doing the CS Sustain from the schem as a first build. Again, you want complete build directions with a layout drawing and a complete list of known-to-work parts.

Where are you located? If you want to do the distortion build, I can offer better quality parts for less $ than the RS list. If you need only certain pieces, like good jacks and a stomp switch, I can provide those. Welcome to DIY pedal-building!

Regards
www.smallbearelec.com

Sahiru

Seljer-
thank u very much. Gotta know about the "taper" clearly from you. I will try thn equalents and share
results. thank you again.

Sahiru

smallbearelec-
thank you very much. I am very new to pedal building.
I will share results with you.
I am from Sri Lanka.
thank you. I always wanted DPDT switches. I will contact you. thanks in advance

smallbearelec

Quote from: Sahiru on September 21, 2014, 09:24:57 PM
I am from Sri Lanka

We have not shipped there yet, but would be happy to! I just added your country to the shipping tables in my shopping cart, so you will be able to get an order in whenever it's convenient.

Sahiru

thank you all!!

and what is a logarithmic potentiometer?
can I replace it with an ordinary potentiometer??

vigilante397

Quote from: Sahiru on September 21, 2014, 10:11:08 PM
thank you all!!

and what is a logarithmic potentiometer?
can I replace it with an ordinary potentiometer??

Logarithmic potentiometer is the same as Audio or "A" potentiometer. Example A100k or 100kA would be a 100k logarithmic potentiometer.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com