FET Preamp Cable

Started by bancika, September 21, 2014, 09:26:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ggedamed

You could try a 2SK30A (TFT) or 2SK208 or 2SK184 (SMD) with the -Y suffix or (even better) -GR.
Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open. (Sir James Dewar, Scientist, 1877-1925)

bancika

I might be able to find 2SK30A. Which bias resistor should be suitable for that?
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

PRR

> how the simple one biases with 48v and 2.2k.

The 48V never goes NEAR the FET!!

The FET is powered by 12V, Zener regulated.
  • SUPPORTER

diydave

I wouldn't bias the fet directly from the 48v.
I'd use a voltage-divider (regulated zener, or just resistors) to get a reference-voltage of 12 volts max.
By doing so, you can use your ordinairy fets (j201, 2n5485, 2n5487, or whatever) and ordinairy bias-resistors and stuff the fet in the jack.
Surely the gain will be sufficient for a piezo.

bancika

I breadboarded it yesterday, but used 1.8k source resistor (didn't have 2.2k). Strangely, it works even when I turn 48V off on my interface. Apparently, there's voltage there at all times. I get around 4V on the drain with 48V turned off, and 19V when it's on. It produces sound in both cases but there's a lot of low frequency noise and pop every few seconds. Maybe it's because the circuit is exposed on the breadboard and all the unshielded clip-on leads I have running from between the breadboard and two cables (XLR to interface, 1/4" to guitar).

Btw, I confirmed with the guy who designed the circuit that it works fine with 48V.

Now I don't know what to do, try to build it properly and see if the noise is still there or switch gears and built something more elaborate in a pedal. I found a drilled B size box with jacks and everything...hmm, what to do, what to do. Anyone knows some good preamp that would be a good candidate for a pedal?

ggedamed

Quote from: bancika on September 23, 2014, 10:51:09 AM
I might be able to find 2SK30A. Which bias resistor should be suitable for that?

First of all, please take everything in my post with a grain of salt. I'm just posting this to see if I got it right.

That's how I'd do it: the JFET will have to be measured beforehand. Let's consider a 2SK30A-GR with IDSS = 5mA and VGSoff = 3V. I'll try to bias the JFET at VGSoff / 2 = 1.5V. So, in this circuit the source will stay at 1.5V.

For maximum headrom I'd like to have half of the available voltage plus the bias voltage on the drain (48V / 2 + 1.5V). The drain resistor is the 6k8 resistor in the XLR interface, so my ideal current ID should be 25.5V / 6k8ohm ~ 3.75mA. It looks like my transistor will fit into the specs. The drain-source voltage VDS should be around 24V (25.5V - 1.5V), which means the power dissipation, at 24V * 3.75mA = 90mW, it's in the 100mW limit.

This means the source resistor should be around 1.5V / 3.75 mA ~ 390ohm. Of course, next step would be the breadboarding.

As you can see, JFETs with large VGSoff and IDSS match better this circuit. It doesn't hurt that 2SK30A has lower noise specs and maximum drain-gate voltage of 50V, also. It also has much larger headroom, which you may like or not.
Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open. (Sir James Dewar, Scientist, 1877-1925)

bancika

Update: built the preamp inside the jack (did a pretty neat job I think) but noise issue I mentioned before persists. I recorded how it sounds, anyone can think of anything that can cause it? Doesn't sound like regular ground loop or interference noise. And there's a periodical pop.

https://soundcloud.com/bancika/preamp-noise

What I'm still puzzled is that it works even when I turn off phantom power on the interface. There's still around 4V on the drain. Actually, it works better that way, when I turn on 48V noise level rises, while signal stays about as loud.

bancika

update 2: I breadboarded the Tillman's power supply that he built in a separate box and in that configuration it works fine, so I guess it's the interface and it's phantom power that doesn't work well with the preamp.

Cheers and thanks all for help.