Debugging Neo Vibe (No signal)

Started by Kevin Mitchell, September 21, 2014, 12:29:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Mitchell

I'm hoping the issue could be something obvious but I'll post some voltages later. The bulb pulsates and the depth and speed seem to be functioning as well but all I can hear is the buzz going with the light. Even when I switch the effect I still get no signal from my guitar. The level pot doesn't seem to do anything. Just a loud pulsating buzz. Perhaps there is bad solder somewhere? I keep checking but I haven't found errors. I would like to know how you guys would go about this and where the issue could be.

I've done a pcb from Geofex.com of the latest neo vibe build.
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

Kevin Mitchell

I'm not sure why but the pdf file I've been using for the wiring doesn't show any connection on the output's sleeve. I've made a connection according to the pdf "vibeupdate" where the sleeve connects to the volume pot and this solved the signal problem somewhat. I now hear my guitar while the effect is off but when I switch it there is absolutely no sound now. Although the lamp is still pulsating as it should.

Not sure what I should do from here. I'll dig up my multimeter tomorrow evening.
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

R.G.

Quote from: Kevin Mitchell on September 21, 2014, 12:29:31 PM
I'm hoping the issue could be something obvious but I'll post some voltages later. The bulb pulsates and the depth and speed seem to be functioning as well but all I can hear is the buzz going with the light. Even when I switch the effect I still get no signal from my guitar. The level pot doesn't seem to do anything. Just a loud pulsating buzz. Perhaps there is bad solder somewhere? I keep checking but I haven't found errors. I would like to know how you guys would go about this and where the issue could be.
Us listing a lot of possible problems doesn't help you much. It could be almost anything that interferes with the signal getting through the phase line - and there are several times as many of those possibilities as there are components, traces, and solder joints combined.

Get out the meter.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.