Metal LED bezel question

Started by disorder, September 21, 2014, 03:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

disorder

I tried the search and found this question has been asked before but not directly answered.

The 5mm metal LED bezels from small bear...

What is the proper way to use that little plastic "stopper" that has two holes for the LED leads? The smaller diameter portion of that piece fits into the bezel but it does not stay put. Is it expected that you need to put some epoxy or glue around it first? Or am I missing something completely? 

KazooMan

I've had some that fit snugly and others that are like yours.  The plastic does serve to insulate the legs of the LED From the metal bezel, preventing a short.  I usually run the legs of the LED through the plastic piece and attach wiring, followed by some shrink wrap tubing.  The latter further prevents any short circuits and keeps the plastic stopper snug against the base of the LED.  If it won't stay in place by itself, I would suggest a small drop of hot melt glue to secure it so you can easily remove it later.

Ice-9

The correct way is to put the rubber stopper is to push it over the led leads and it is meant to then push into the bezel holding the led in place. They are very tight fit usually.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

mth5044

The correct way to use the stopper is to throw it away and hot glue the LED in  :)