Mxr Micro amp problem (1st build) help

Started by Bearbadger, September 22, 2014, 10:52:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alpine

Looks like a 33ohm 2% to me! Not all resistors have 4 stripe value codes.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: alpine on September 23, 2014, 02:54:40 PM
Looks like a 33ohm to me! Not all resistors have 4 stripe codes.

This is true however, the BROWN stripe at the end usually indicates a 1% tolerance and those are "supposed" to have a 4 stripe identifier. I have seen these a few times though (the alleged 1% resistors with only 3 stripes)

Either way... I am 99% sure that resistor is the wrong value for that spot  ;)
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

alpine

As an oldie, I always have to think twice to work out the value of these damned new fangled 5 stripe resistors! I think the gold stripe on the first resistor he had in would actually make it a 2.2ohm...

mth5044

The first one was either red red black gold brown or brown gold black red red.

If it's the first case, it's 22ohm 1%.

If it's the second case, it doesn't exist.

matmosphere

Bearbadger check the resistor values with a multimeter before you put them in. Sometimes dealers make mistakes. I had a well know parts dealer send me some resistors that were labeled with incorrect values and it caused me some major headaches with a few projects. Don't just trust those labels. Not sure if the IC is your problem but you might consider using sockets in the future. They are nice and allow you to try different components out to see what sounds best with your gear.

Good luck, don't get discouraged my first several builds needed many hours of troubleshooting and checking forums before I finally got them right.

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

It seems the easiest way to move on to other issues would be to REMOVE the resistor entirely, it is not needed for the operation of the pedal. It's for bypass pop prevention.

I'd be more worried about those cables shorting by having so much exposed metal above the pcb.

Fp
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

lmorse

QuoteOne of the common bugs in novice builds is that people overheat their stompswitches and create discontinuities as a result

I can attest to this! It took me several days to track down an issue on my last build to the switch being fried.

Bearbadger

Quote from: Fp-www.Tonepad.com on September 23, 2014, 07:34:40 PM
It seems the easiest way to move on to other issues would be to REMOVE the resistor entirely, it is not needed for the operation of the pedal. It's for bypass pop prevention.

Fp

I removed the resistor and I still have the same result. Normal sound in bypass and very faint sound when switched on.
Thanks for your replies. I have ordered a REAL  :o 22M resistor and another Ic. I will let you know how it goes when they arrive....

mth5044

matmosphere

Bearbadger

Had another go at this today. Put this new reisistor and a new IC in. Have a nice distorted sound when engaged that is a 3rd of the volume when the pedal is in bypass. Took the led off the pdt and got a little more volume. Fairly stumped.

New reisistor 22m ??

[/URL]

Govmnt_Lacky

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

I'd look at the wiring, no offense but your wire looks like it hasn't been properly stripped, lots of chances for shorts there.
:D
Fp
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com