ldr led advice in Mutron phaser ii Clone

Started by njkmonty, September 23, 2014, 06:07:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

njkmonty

Ive recently finished  Mutron phaser ii Clone
ive found it works well but could be room for improvement.

Ive also just finished Lovetone doppleganger phaser clone too, and very very happy with

My doppleganger phaser clone  i have also added heat shrink tubing to fully cover the 4 led /ldrs, which works great.

My question is about the Mu tron phaser ii clone...
1) i would like to make a little daughter board for it and use 6 seperate leds instead of 1, and have them laying down like the Doppelganger.
would the power source driving the 1 led, be able to drive 6 seperate leds without loss in performance?

This is the Doppelganger clone

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/du62g908u15g6dn/AAB6yoA40rXvDxmbTGnzh_LJa/Gigahearts_FX_DoubelGanger_2.1d_BuildGuide%20v4.pdf?dl=0

njkmonty

since i didnt get a reply , i had a bit of a tinker, and was lucky.
i did a daughter board with 6 seperate leds instead of one .
it sounds 1000% better and very very happy ,it nails the
Iron Maiden clean sound on "Strange World" song

njkmonty

this was really quick and crappy, butmy favourite out of all phasers built so far , much more lusher than 1 led version

jubal81

Sounds great. Did you just run the LEDs in series?

njkmonty

i left the original led surrounded by the six ldrs. (if removed it  doesn't throb as well leave it in!, i'm going to use it as the onboard rate led)
i connected 6 wires from each ldr on the board  to a daughter board
the daughter board had  a led for each ldr (green diffused 5mm)  lying on side with ldr directly in front. ( Like the Dopple Ganger clone picture i posted earlier.
i connected the ground to the daughter board which in turn connected to all the ldrs and leds.
the lfo + voltage was taken from transistor leg , then wired to a 1KB Pot then a 220 ohm resistor.
This provides a great led intensity adjustment  which i found very usable, (enough not to leave it as a trim pot).

To my ear this mod is so much better than the original in pdf, I also found green Diffused 5mm led much better than suggested yellow. ( i tried about 12 different led types too!)

bluesdevil

Sounds great! I've built a bunch of phasers (Bad Stone, Ross, Phase 45 and phase 90), but haven't tried the Mutron II...... I might go ahead and give it a "whirl" with your improvements.
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

njkmonty

well worth it, give the lovetone Doppelganger clone a go too
it has 2 lfos and makes a unique sound

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=108713.0

kaycee

That's cool! Sounds very nice too. I thought that it wouldn't work driving all of those LEDs instead of just the one. What value LDR did you use?

I have one of these stock on a board a friend etched for me, I like it a lot, but I do have another un popped board, so I guess I'm going to have to give this a try myself at some point. Thanks for sharing your idea :)

duck_arse

if those leds are all in parallel, they won't all be equal brights, one/some will be diff voltage, however slight, and robbing the others. it won't matter in your build due to all the light leakage from the other leds, and you say you like the sound as is. if each led has its own, small resistor, even maybe 10R each, and then each led/resistor is wired parallel, with another 10R in series with the whole mess, they should all even brights and balanced. should.
don't make me draw another line.

njkmonty

when they turn on and off, I cant notice any issues with the eye.
one thing i did was match my ldrs from tayda.
by implementing your suggested changes, do you think i will notice anything different?
i might have a crack at making my own board too.
i like it very much, ive looked at the video i posted of it, and after playing around with it, feel that it sounds even better-than whats in the vid.
perhaps its only due to matched ldrs or something?

when i get a moment i might have a go at some amendments on schematic for your perusal with your siggestion

bluesdevil

Quote from: njkmonty on September 25, 2014, 05:28:19 AM
well worth it, give the lovetone Doppelganger clone a go too
it has 2 lfos and makes a unique sound

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=108713.0

I'd love to build that one too, but it looks like I missed out and the pcb's are all sold out... that's what I get for not checking in more often!
Good luck with your future builds.
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

njkmonty

There's a etch your own version of this floating around
I will see if I can locate the PDF
http://guitar-gear.ru/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=29738

duck_arse

quoting myself, how gauche.

Quote from: me on September 25, 2014, 10:54:17 AM
.... with another 10R in series with the whole mess ......

when I say 10R in series w/ whole mess, I should say 200R or 220R, like your original. I doubt you'll notice a difference doing it this way, but it is the correkt way of doing, ship-shape and r.g. fashion.
don't make me draw another line.

bluesdevil

Quote from: njkmonty on September 26, 2014, 03:27:04 AM
There's a etch your own version of this floating around
I will see if I can locate the PDF
http://guitar-gear.ru/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=29738

Thanks! Something weird with the PCB art..... no pad holes. I have an updated version of Adobe Acrobat, maybe not showing all layers?

LaceSensor

No that's just how it is.
Drill in the middle of the pads...

armdnrdy

Use a small diameter center punch or something similar to create a starting depression.....so that your drill bit does not skate over the board until it "digs" in.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

bluesdevil

First off, apologies to njkmonty for derailing his inspirational thread in different directions. :icon_redface:
I was thinking of punching the pcb, but I don't have a fine enough point handy. I think I will give a shot at photoshop, though.
Still don't know how I missed that project! Too many distractions.
Thanks again to everybody involved in getting these two great phaser projects together. :icon_cool:

njkmonty

dont apologise!!
im stoked someone replied to my topic!!  woohoo,

i feel like a dick at present as i unintentionally linked lacesensors doppelgänger build docs which i found on  a Russian forum!!

SOORRYY

i also found this shared project too

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/JPBeuZFK

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6awk5abrs7q519j/Low%20Profile%20Doppelganger%201.4.pdf

alanp

Please be advised that the 1.4 has ticking problems for quite a few people (I didn't get any ticking, and a couple other people did not as well.) The 2.1 layout for Lace was to fix this issue.

I'd advise to either build a full size Doppelganger, or bribe someone's 2.1 board away from them.