Adapser - Super simple 2 stages phaser

Started by Crontox102098, September 25, 2014, 02:59:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crontox102098

Hi guys, i'm here again to introduce a new little desing that i've been testing some weeks ago.
It's a little, simple and very adaptable phaser/vibrato and with some LDR can be a tremolo.

I cannot record some clips because my soundcard it's broken, but in phaser mode with C9 and C11 sounds like the MXR Phase 45 and with C4 and C11 taste like the UniVibe.

Cheers!  ;D
I'm Carlos.

I speak spanish, just in case you do not understand what I say.

Mark Hammer

Interesting.  Is the LFO intended to provide something close to a sine wave?

Crontox102098

Quote from: Mark Hammer on September 25, 2014, 04:26:44 PM
Interesting.  Is the LFO intended to provide something close to a sine wave?

Exactly  ;D.
I'm Carlos.

StephenGiles

Interesting, I wonder to what extent a dry signal phase shifted through 2 static sections (the word has gone - senior moment!!) would affect the sound?
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Crontox102098

Quote from: StephenGiles on September 26, 2014, 02:44:30 AM
Interesting, I wonder to what extent a dry signal phase shifted through 2 static sections (the word has gone - senior moment!!) would affect the sound?

You mean to add 2 stages more?
I'm Carlos.

StephenGiles

No replace dry signal with 2 static stages.
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

~arph

Mark Hammer

If the stages are fixed, AND there is clean blended in, what you have is a notch filter, suitable for taming feedback howl.

Using two different cap values would likely make the notch produced wider and shallower, such that it becomes a sort of tunable Varitone sort of thing.

lapsteelman

Looks like a cool circuit!

Why does the phase/vibrato switch tie to the VC line? Wouldn't you just want to switch off the clean signal for vibrato?

Crontox102098

Quote from: lapsteelman on September 27, 2014, 12:06:23 AM

Why does the phase/vibrato switch tie to the VC line? Wouldn't you just want to switch off the clean signal for vibrato?

I relied primarily in the John Hollis EasyVibe desing... So far, it does the job and is deadly quiet talking about noises.
I'm Carlos.

mth5044

Quote from: lapsteelman on September 27, 2014, 12:06:23 AM

The VC is a reference voltage, so it's basically turning off the clean blend and biasing the the vibrato signal to half voltage.

Davelectro

Quote from: Crontox102098 on September 27, 2014, 07:28:05 AM
I relied primarily in the John Hollis EasyVibe desing

Thanks for sharing.

Now, I could be wrong but the LFO section looks different from the Easy Vibe. Where did you take it from?

Crontox102098

Quote from: Davelectro on September 27, 2014, 11:59:42 AM
Quote from: Crontox102098 on September 27, 2014, 07:28:05 AM
I relied primarily in the John Hollis EasyVibe desing

Thanks for sharing.

Now, I could be wrong but the LFO section looks different from the Easy Vibe. Where did you take it from?

From an image that Frequencycentral's has posted a long time go modifing all the values until get the oscillation i wanted, something close as a sine wave.
This is the image:
I'm Carlos.

Mark Hammer

Two things to consider:

1) If you absolutely know what the resistance range of the LDRs will be, then you have the freedom to simply use them on their own.  Many phasers made with JFETs (and on occasion, LDRs) will use a fixed resistor, in parallel with whatever the variable resistance element is going to be, to set the maximum resistance to ground.  That makes it easier to determine what sort of response one will get, and where any notches will be located in the spectrum, with the caps one has decided to use.

2) If you are using homebrew optoisolators (LED+photocell in a relatively light-resistant package), it is not a big deal, or "wrong" to have one LED driving two LDRs, if they are positioned well.  That gives you the freedom to use the circuit as it is shown, but mount one of the two LEDs on the control panel as a speed indicator.