Cry baby font?

Started by loki, September 27, 2014, 07:24:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

loki

Does anyone know what font does Dunlop use for their cry baby logo? Do you know if it's a commercial font or something custom made for them?
thanks!

Crontox102098

Quote from: loki on September 27, 2014, 07:24:16 AM
Does anyone know what font does Dunlop use for their cry baby logo? Do you know if it's a commercial font or something custom made for them?
thanks!

I think is a custom made, but I can be wrong. I couldn't find any font like Dunlop use in the Cry Baby in fonts.com
I'm Carlos.

I speak spanish, just in case you do not understand what I say.

loki

Yea that's what I think too. Even with those font recognition services I couldn't find anything similar

joegagan

it was a fairly common font in 67 when they introduced the pedal.  it is a very enduring logo IMO

not sure what the font was tho
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

bcalla

Try this site:  http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/

It doesn't work if it is a custom font, but if it's commercial you might get a hit.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer."
       -- Mark Twain

joegagan

it is a relative of this, if having more letters helps.

for THOMAS, i suspect the artist modified the Y and possibly the B in the font used for crybaby.

the R was really weird in the first crybaby versions too
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

joegagan

joegagan

bingo! i had to do some manipulation and learn what the program wanted, but i was able to get a hit.
my manipulated image ( large, on right) is the one that got a hit.
THANKS FOr THe LINK bcalla! i have seen that site before but had lost track.

joegagan

total time spent, 14 minutes.

i had to use the 'critters' image because i could not get a clear enough representation of the earliest crybaby logos+ not as many letters to grab on to.

John Lyons

What an age we live in....
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

loki

Awesome job joegagan!
I had tried before with font recognition, but the fact that "cry baby" is just 5 letters and that the glyph for capital Y is used for the small y made me fail miserably.
Thank you for solving this mystery  :D

mac

Not as old as a Cry Baby but this font creator software was released many years ago  :)

http://www.fontlab.com/font-editor/fontographer/download-fontographer/

I guess I have an old version of Fontographer for Mac OS 7. I could easily create fonts for Cry Baby, Phase 90 script logo, etc., but unfortunately my old powermac 7300 monitor died.

Any vector graphic capable soft can do the job too, ie, photoshop, illustrator, etc.

mac

mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

joegagan

Quote from: loki on September 28, 2014, 05:12:00 AM
Awesome job joegagan!
I had tried before with font recognition, but the fact that "cry baby" is just 5 letters and that the glyph for capital Y is used for the small y made me fail miserably.
Thank you for solving this mystery  :D

awesome thank YOU for presenting a fun challenge. i do a lot of design and logo stuff so the ability to quickly suss out a font is a skill i continually try to refine.

one minor point tho, you said the Y is from the upper case, but i think they actually just lengthened the tail on the lower case Y. same with the R, they either extended the  right side of the R downward a little, or there was an ' off brand' version of this font back then. there have been  look-alikes for as long as we can imagine.

loki

Quote from: joegagan on September 28, 2014, 04:26:36 PM
one minor point tho, you said the Y is from the upper case, but i think they actually just lengthened the tail on the lower case Y. same with the R, they either extended the  right side of the R downward a little, or there was an ' off brand' version of this font back then. there have been  look-alikes for as long as we can imagine.

you're right, after a quick glance I just assumed that because the small y in the font doesn't have a straight tail. and the b and the r are different too. So it's definitely the 1960s Europa Grotesque font used on the Critters album cover, and it seems that typeset was modified for the crybaby. I guess it's the same in modern times. The Europa Grotesque font you found is a modern digital version of the 1960 typeset, and Dunlop must have their own custom modified version (if you watch the crybaby documentary the font is used all over it).

Quote from: mac on September 28, 2014, 11:17:59 AM
Any vector graphic capable soft can do the job too, ie, photoshop, illustrator, etc.

I know this small font creation program which runs on modern macs and it's free.
http://birdfont.org/

don't know if it's any good though, never used it myself

mac

QuoteI know this small font creation program which runs on modern macs and it's free.
http://birdfont.org/

don't know if it's any good though, never used it myself

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

Crontox102098

I've got time, and i'm bored, so... i'll gonna make the font with Birdfont.

I'm Carlos.

I speak spanish, just in case you do not understand what I say.

loki

Quote from: Crontox102098 on September 29, 2014, 08:14:33 AM
I've got time, and i'm bored, so... i'll gonna make the font with Birdfont.

great, let us know about it!