an ugly face, with more ugly and more face

Started by duck_arse, September 27, 2014, 11:58:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

duck_arse

warning! there will be switches. look away now if they offend.

here is the turpo supinant, an ugly face with some divisions. you can divide the "reset" signal by up to 16. you can divide the output signal from the 7555 by up to 16, and use it as an output or feed it back into one of the modulation holes. you can envelope up or down. we have an lfo. and 2 ldr's. go crazy.

(click for full-size - 43K)

this is very much incomplete, unrefined, there are some switching options still undocumented. most of it can be junked, probably, that's for all you breadboarders to decide. there is also some parts options, the division can be simplified and restricted by using a 4013 f/f (tested, works), or maybe a 4017 (not tried).

the convoluted front end resulted from me wanting a dynamic envelope, and others wanting up/down sweep. then the cmos was clocking on ugly glitches, and produce 0.01% duty cycle pulses. that's now fixxed, although the sound and response is different as a result. there is an ugly digital farty glitching in the output, anyone wants to fixxe it is welcome. I'm tired of listening to it, it's just too wild.

all proper engineering suggestions welcome. any questions as to further mods, just ask.
don't make me draw another line.

GibsonGM

Holy CRAP, DA!  That looks more like a transceiver than an uglyface, ha ha.... How much time did that take you?   I need to hear a sound clip, if you can make one!  

Edit: just saw your post on the other thread about not having access to record...maybe you have a friend who could figure it out for you??  This circuit looks insane!
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

duck_arse

it's not so much "a circuit" as a collection of (nearly) all the things you can add, and where you can shove them, so to speak. I'll give another try at a clip.

there is a resistor missing in the 0.1 schem.

today, I pulled all the extra crap usefull additions off the bb, and put just the original with division, the "turpo descendit minima". I will draw it up and post it tomorrow, but it won't have many switches.

GibsonGM

Sweet.  I wouldn't know where to begin without hearing the mods. They LOOK quite impressive! 

What program are you using for drafting, DA?  I like the 'blueprint' look of your schematics.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

duck_arse

it's eagle. takes a while to fiddle the colours so everyone else will hate my diagrams, but I managed, and the black screen is much easier on my eyes. (saves power too.) I have to hack ALL the symbols as things like resistors are not properly symmetric, and ic's have their pins in bad spots, diodes have lines through them, switches are wrong, etc.

WhiskeyMadeMeDoIt

That looks insane.  I love it. I will have to get to a computer and soak that in. +1 on the demo if you can manage one

Kipper4

Blooming heck DA trust you to ake a nice simple circuit complex. :icon_cry:
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

anotherjim

I guessed it was going to be big - but.... :icon_eek:
Looks fascinating.
I have no idea what it might be capable of.

GibsonGM

Quote from: duck_arse on September 28, 2014, 07:55:18 AM
it's eagle. takes a while to fiddle the colours so everyone else will hate my diagrams, but I managed, and the black screen is much easier on my eyes. (saves power too.) I have to hack ALL the symbols as things like resistors are not properly symmetric, and ic's have their pins in bad spots, diodes have lines through them, switches are wrong, etc.

Looks pretty sharp, though.  Wrong comes with the territory, it makes things unique. Maybe a newbie will not know what a symbol means, and it will frustrate him to no end, ha ha...just kidding.
  • SUPPORTER

anotherjim

So the name?
You've made it uglier and flipped it onto it's back?
My Latin is poor  :-[

duck_arse

your latin is fine, another, it's googoo that's upta sh!te. the latin chosen looks better than the other latins I got for translations.

here is some sounds. anyone with any doubts about why I don't post audio - now you know. and why did the conversion from .ogg (not allowed) to .mp3 double the file size?

this was done with the 386 front-end, a 741 schmitt, and the emitter follower before the 7555. nsl32 (thanks kipper!) provides the enveloping in a standard config.
first is the 7555 fed from the schmitt trigger. http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/ugly.schmitt.mp3
second is the 4013 f/2 fed to 7555. http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/ugly.div2.mp3
third is f/4 fed to 7555. http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/ugly.div4.mp3

bad tho it all sounds, there is plenty more from the fuller circuit, if you want to hear it chase itself ......

anotherjim

Hmmm,,
Sounds like a duck playing a Didgeridon't.  Sounds insane. Me like. I can see why you might want  some kind of sequencing to keep it changing track.
What I hear is like someone going through synth presets. Bit of filter resonance, then PWM, then osc sync then bleeps etc.

GibsonGM

Quote from: anotherjim on September 29, 2014, 02:17:55 PM
Hmmm,,
Sounds like a duck playing a Didgeridon't.  Sounds insane. Me like. I can see why you might want  some kind of sequencing to keep it changing track.
What I hear is like someone going through synth presets. Bit of filter resonance, then PWM, then osc sync then bleeps etc.

+1, very nice, Duck!   If you can find a way to step thru 1 or more of those, I think it will be really neat!    There is a bunch of potential there for sure!
  • SUPPORTER

~arph

Cool stuff, will look into all the mods.

Meanwhile I inverted it for those who like (me) it better with a white background.

duck_arse

my eyes! I'm blind! that circuit needs some updates. soon.

those of you that were paying attention will have noticed that the dividing in the original sound samples were not as advertised. the 4013 had decided to clock on pips again. new *ahem* samples have been posted in place (what about that sustain?), but they have lots of ugly mp3-ing garbage apparent. (this is the last we will speak of this version, I think.)

I'm telling you blokes, the sooner one of you throws the op-amp and 4520 on the breadboard, the sooner we get listenable samples. I rejigged today with the lm358-lm741-4520-7555 and the diode rectifier, and after putting every wire in the wrong place, finally got it going.

that was another couple of hours gone, just noodling rubbish like in the clips. imagine what you could do with it! especially when I say it goes better on humbuckers because of the now-too-much sensitivity. and it sweeps up and down. and when you've stopped larfing at that, you can feed the 7555 output to the other divider, and take its output to the vol pot.

weirdness. it runs up or down (sometimes both, it confuses easy) -step, step, step, the scale, all by its self. and we haven't run the divided output back into the env vactrol yet. or jiggered at the CV input. anyone brave enough to suffer another sample?

DelSpanisho

Another sample? I don't want more samples. I want a PCB so I can put this effect on my board immediately.

duck_arse

mmmm, well, pcb ...... I've put this at the top of the "hold" list, as I have a sucker paying customer lined up, and his pedal is going into the box I had for the uglier facier.

how many rotary switches do you have, Del?

DelSpanisho

I got two left over from my failed DBA robot project.

duck_arse

DelSpanisho

EBay listing was for "3P4T". It's got three center poles, and clicks 12 times when turned all the way iirc.