The importance of the first transistor emitter resistor in wahs

Started by shredgd, October 03, 2014, 02:54:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shredgd

When you search the web for "wah mods", the crucial role of this resistor (typical stock value 390 or 470 ohm, depending on brand) is never quite stressed, while a lot of words are spent on inductor types, the "vocal mod" and the sweep range mod. However, I realized this is the single most crucial component to explore when modding your wah!!

Do you feel your wah sounds thin (especially after modding it for true bypass)? Don't waste money on a new inductor (or at least wait before doing so) and don't alter the characteristic sound of the wah by changing the 33k resistor or the 0.01uF cap values (unless you want a different effect... I happened to find these latter mods quite un-musical)!

Lowering this resistor to 330 ohm, in my experience, unleashed the full tone of my wahs, restoring some bass without sacrificing any other frequency and giving a slight increase in volume, actually compensating for the little volume drop I had when engaging the pedal with the stock 390 or 470 ohm (especially) resistors.

All of the above is IMO, but give it a try, at least before spending money on a new inductor, if you're not happy with the tone of your wah!

Giulio
Protect your hearing.
Always use earplugs whenever you are in noisy/loud situations.

My videos on YouTube: www.youtube.com/shredgd5
My band's live videos on YouTube: www.youtube.com/swinglekings

amptramp