Strange ramp in sound for my distortion clone

Started by Mbas974, October 06, 2014, 05:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mbas974

Hi, I built the pinnacle II clone.
It sound great but there is something strange when I start playing.
it's like a ramp in sound when I play the first note, only the first note when the pedal is engaged from the bypass status.

On the pedal there is no switch at all; the circuit is direct connect to a couple of jack.
It is activated by a looper (relay switch). Same switch with other pedals have no ramp.... (There is no delay/silent circuit in the switch. It is standard relay looper from commercial industry).

What is can cause the ramp in the sound ?

GibsonGM

A link to the schematic might help...but what I suspect is happening is that the input cap is charging up while you play the first note!   Kind of like Hendrix's fuzz in Axis: Bold as Love  (right after "Yeah, yeah" at the beginning of the first solo, where he's doing doublets up the scale and then hits the pedal).

OR there's another cap somewhere sucking voltage when you engage the effect.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Mbas974

..i don't know how to insert images but this is the schematic.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=104801.0;prev_next=prev

I change some caps from metal film to electrolitic (the 1u) could be this ?

GibsonGM

Not the 1u, if the value is the same as they specified.

What you have seems to be something charging up, robbing the circuit of power for a few seconds.  You could try disconnecting the LED and see if it may have been miswired.    If you can post a sound clip, I'm sure we'd all love to hear it!

Unless you're somehow turning on POWER at the same time you engage the effect (and you say you're not), then I wonder if the looper has something to do with this?    One thing you could do is measure the voltage at a FET as you engage and disengage, see if it actually ramps up....power supply sag is another possibility here (?).

SOMETHING is dropping your voltage for a moment, or causing a lag...we have to hunt it down :)
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...