Building Amp that can power 200w RMS speaker..

Started by Hav, October 10, 2014, 10:49:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hav

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but looking to build an amp that can power my passive stage monitor.. EV SX100... its 200w RMS, 800 Peak.

I have seen quite a few stomp box amp builds that will push a few watts, but im not sure if these will be loud enough for me on stage and for the speaker:

http://www.runoffgroove.com/articles.html

Does anyone have any links to any PCB layouts etc or any information I can look at to get building one of these? Only been building for 6 months or so, so still relatively very new to this! :-)

Thanks for any advice in advance!!

R.G.

1. All amplifiers that can drive speakers will drive your speaker. However, smaller amplifiers just won't get as loud.

2. If what you meant is "drive it to full power" then you're talking about construction of a 200Wrms amplifer. This is NOT something for a beginner to try. You run a big risk of hurting the speaker or yourself.

3. If what you meant is "drive it to X loudness" then there are the same problems as in (2), but you might be able to use a lower power amplifier. Same issues, as the dangers are in the AC power wiring and the details of setting up high voltage semiconductors and power supplies.

I suggest at most a kit build, not a build from schematics. Better is to get on craigslist and buy an amplifier. That may well be *cheaper* than building yourself.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

R.G.

More info:

From here http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=200

The impedance is 8 ohms, the sensitivity is 98db at 1W/1meter. So a one watt amplifier will drive it to 98db SPL. 100W will drive it to approximately 118db SPL, which is LOUD, jackhammer loud. At some point, you stop needing more amplifier and need better ear plugs.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

PRR

Go to the pawn shop, buy a secondhand power amplifier.

You can even get a stereo amp with one side dead.

You can NOT buy the parts for what such an amp costs new in the store, much less what they cost used. A pre-made amp will have ALL the protection circuits that DIY amps often lack.

+1 to everything R.G. said. Medium (40 Watt) power amps can be very frustrating even for experienced builders. BIG power amps are a real specialty.
  • SUPPORTER

Hav

thank you for the advice,

was looking to power just enough so I can hear it well enough on stage, but looks like il be putting this one to rest and just buying an amp.

:-)