Germanium leakage tester help

Started by Luke51411, October 10, 2014, 07:45:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke51411

I built RGs tester and it's not working correctly. I built it on Vero and breadboard and it's doing the same thing. It reads around 220mv at first and steadily decreases and when I push the button it reads 0. I'm using the cheap Chinese tester to determine the pinout. I'm guessing maybe it's incorrect? I tried MP20a and gt308v trannies both with the same issue.

Luke51411

Of note, I've built several FF style circuits and tried out transistors. I just went off of the gain and pinout from the Chinese tester thing and they all worked and sounded good.

Canucker

could you post the layout, schematic for the tester?

greaser_au

Luke, 

This is a VERY simple circuit.  Can I suggest you might test it with a  PNP silicon device  (the figures will be bogus, but you will know whether it works or not)?

Use the data sheets to find the pinouts - many sellers of russian devices include data sheets in their ebay listings, but beware of ones that have been 'translated'.

david

Luke51411

I know it's very simple, I have enough builds under my belt I should be able to get this working. I'm sure I'll be embarrassed when I figure it out. I was just thrown off when I built it on a known good layout and bb with the same results... I'll try some Si devices out.

duck_arse

it's only 2 resistors and a switch. why do you need a layout?
don't make me draw another line.

Luke51411

I don't know because it exists I guess... I figured I must be doing something else wrong since I got the same results either way...

Luke51411

What would cause a 0v reading when the 2m2 to ground is connected to the base? Seems like a bad pinout to me but if I use the same pinout and install them in a fuzz circuit they work and sound Good! Again... I think I'm going to feel like an idiot when I figure this out but for now something is throwing me off.