Output Buffer Help

Started by soupbone, October 12, 2014, 06:38:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

soupbone

I'm trying to figure out how to install an output buffer to my Vox V847(u.s.made).This page has the output buffer for a Clyde McCoy; www.fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/mccoy.php  scroll to the bottom for the output buffer.Here's the list of components from the page;#1.)1&5=Grounds.(I understand that),#2.)Input from Wah 3(I'm guessing this extra wire is going to the 3rd lug of the Pot?,#3.)+9VDC(?),#4.)Ouput to Switch.(?)

GibsonGM

What's the matter? Not sure I understand what you're getting at, soup...you can just add this into your Vox, I believe...all the stuff in red just gets attached to your output!  Remove the output wire in the wah, and input it to this buffer ("input from wah" - no 'extra wire')...you can even test it on breadboard first.

Unless I'm missing something?
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

soupbone

Quote from: GibsonGM on October 12, 2014, 07:28:23 AM
What's the matter? Not sure I understand what you're getting at, soup...you can just add this into your Vox, I believe...all the stuff in red just gets attached to your output!  Remove the output wire in the wah, and input it to this buffer ("input from wah" - no 'extra wire')...you can even test it on breadboard first.

Unless I'm missing something?
Ok cool.You cleared the main part of it up for me.The "Input to Wah 3" looks this wire is coming from pad 2 of the output buffer,and then to 3rd lug of the pot?The +9V looks like it's coming from pad 3 of the output buffer,to the positive lug of the d.c. Jack.The same lug that the +9V from the main pcb is soldered to.Does that sound right?(I'm using a round-style 2.1mm d.c. jack that i installed.)Thanks for your help!

soupbone

Ok..With a little help from my friend Mark,I think we have it figured out; Pad#1&5=Grounds  Pad#2=Input to Wah 3.(you would desolder the wire from the "tip" of the output jack,which would normally go to Lug #5 of the dpdt switch,and re-route that wire to that pad? Pad#3=9VDC (this extra wire would come from this pad,to the same lug on the d.c.jack,that the +9V from the connector pin goes to? Pad#4=Output(to switch) I'm not sure about this one.

GibsonGM

Not too sure, soup...I'm not looking at this in terms of pads and 'numbers'!  Only electronically...wah output goes to the buffer, which has its own output via the trimmer to your output jack...and it needs 9V to operate, and grounds....if you follow it carefully and logically, I'm sure you'll make it work :)   

Just don't commit too far til you know it works, and then make it all permanent! 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

soupbone

Quote from: GibsonGM on October 12, 2014, 06:48:20 PM
Not too sure, soup...I'm not looking at this in terms of pads and 'numbers'!  Only electronically...wah output goes to the buffer, which has its own output via the trimmer to your output jack...and it needs 9V to operate, and grounds....if you follow it carefully and logically, I'm sure you'll make it work :)   

Just don't commit too far til you know it works, and then make it all permanent! 
I tend to make things harder than they are sometimes Mike!lol With your info I think I can figure it out.I'll report back.Thanks Mike!

GibsonGM

Hope it works!  I also complicate things if I don't have a good understanding of them. It usually means I need to slow down and get methodical instead of rushing in.  Happens all the time :)      You'll get this, and you'll see it's not that hard...just needs an input to the buffer, power for it, grounds and an output...
  • SUPPORTER

armdnrdy

Here you go...

Output buffer, true bypass, with DC jack.

I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)