What i need to sound like this?

Started by Crontox102098, October 12, 2014, 03:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crontox102098

What i need to put or modify to my gear to make my guitar sound like the rhythm guitar in that song?

I've got a Fender Mustang I with a Zoom G1on
I tried and tried and tried and cannot get this kind of sound...
I'm Carlos.

I speak spanish, just in case you do not understand what I say.

mow

Hi

I´d say its a combination of a few modulation effects.
Mainly Chorus and Flanger to my ears, maybe tone pot rolled down, cheap ass guitar and amp, Mac DeMarco style ;)
Oh and strum the strings gentle, just like the vibe of the song.

Greets
Mow

Crontox102098

Quote from: mow on October 12, 2014, 03:34:31 PM
Hi

I´d say its a combination of a few modulation effects.
Mainly Chorus and Flanger to my ears, maybe tone pot rolled down, cheap ass guitar and amp, Mac DeMarco style ;)
Oh and strum the strings gentle, just like the vibe of the song.

Greets
Mow

If you know him, you'll know that in his guitar, there is no tone pot... i've got days trying to emulate his sound.
I'm Carlos.

Giglawyer

I am going to get flamed for this, but I doubt you can get this sound with a digital multi-effect pedal. 

I think you need a flanger, a chorus, and maybe some really mild analog delay.  Or some mix of these. 
Check out my builds - http://www.giglawyer.com

armdnrdy

Deleted  post
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Crontox102098

I'm Carlos.

GibsonGM

Quote from: Giglawyer on October 12, 2014, 05:36:24 PM
I am going to get flamed for this, but I doubt you can get this sound with a digital multi-effect pedal. 

I think you need a flanger, a chorus, and maybe some really mild analog delay.  Or some mix of these. 

No flame, but...I think you could come close with a multi-effect.  What was said -- it's just pretty 'wet'.    If you played around with chorus and flange enough, you'd get something passable, IMHO.    I could do this with my Tele pretty well, I think.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Crontox102098

Quote from: GibsonGM on October 12, 2014, 06:45:57 PM

No flame, but...I think you could come close with a multi-effect.  What was said -- it's just pretty 'wet'.    If you played around with chorus and flange enough, you'd get something passable, IMHO.    I could do this with my Tele pretty well, I think.

I've got a Tele, Chorus and Flanger at 100% in depth and speed at 40%? would work? I'll try when i'm home
I'm Carlos.

Giglawyer

Quote from: GibsonGM on October 12, 2014, 06:45:57 PM

Yep.  I think you could come close with a multi-effect.  That was my experience when I used one.  Every tone was ...close.  Never could seem to get exactly the tone I wanted. 
Check out my builds - http://www.giglawyer.com

Mustachio

Funny I was just watching this Mac Demarco Docu last night

At some point in the video he plays with a reel to reel and tells everyone to stop using ableton, haha .

I wouldn't get too hung up on matching the sound exactly, it was probably ran through a few things including a reel to reel after the track was laid down.

I "think" I can hear a few parts that sound like the pitch is wobbled speed up and then slowed down, but very subtly.

Chorus and maybe a vibrato or phaser and vibrato ? To my ears it doesn't sound super lush with the depth of the modulation. Rotovibe might get you close.
"Hhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg"

WhiskeyMadeMeDoIt

I think chorus and flanger are at work here like everyone else is saying but like mustachio says it's wobbled. Wonder if you ran that through a Clari(not) you could get the wobble you are looking for. There are two versions of that you would the second version that's clean. It's an envelope controlled delay. Set it to a short delay and tweak the sensitivity.

Crontox102098

Quote from: WhiskeyMadeMeDoIt on October 12, 2014, 11:18:08 PM
I think chorus and flanger are at work here like everyone else is saying but like mustachio says it's wobbled. Wonder if you ran that through a Clari(not) you could get the wobble you are looking for. There are two versions of that you would the second version that's clean. It's an envelope controlled delay. Set it to a short delay and tweak the sensitivity.

Sounds quite bit like that, but still i cannot get that "inmersive and dark" sound... can anyone help me with the chords?  :icon_frown:
I'm Carlos.

GibsonGM

Yeah, multi-effects do just that...the effect. They can't bring the warmth this has - so I suspect there's some post-processing here too (just meaning that he's using his nice tube amp and pedals, with some good close-micing).    But you'll get close - EXPERIMENT!   

To Demarco, it was probably just a funky tone he came up with and didn't spend much time tweaking it other than by ear....Whiskey is right, there's some wobble there, leading me to think Flange.    You just have to try to pick one thing to start with, and work from there....clean tone, then maybe the chorus, and add in some flange/something to wobble....the leads have more tweaking, IMO.      Neat sound, tho  ;)
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Mustachio

Try this for the main part

C major
A sharp major (B flat major)
A minor
G major

The bridge part I think does single notes E,F,G
B string frets 5 then 6 then 8 or use the open high E and go 0,1,3
I think the bridge resolves with a C then a B flat

For the beginning chords try starting off with a Cmajor using a D shape the tab chord would look like xxx12/13/12

xxx12/13/12
xxx10/11/10
xxx9/10/8
xxx7/8/7

I'm just guessing with all that.

The Clarinot is a good call , and turn the highs down on your amp or guitar tone control, or throw a blanket over it.

Good luck man

deafbutpicky

To me it sounds like tape compression and like a worn out LP, even the crackle is there. So mostly recording and mastering
magic. Just listen to the lush snare sound, it fits. For live I'd try a slight vibrato after the chours and flanger (tape emulation)
and some treble cut where ever it fits without making it too dull.

Crontox102098

Quote from: Mustachio on October 13, 2014, 08:07:08 AM
Try this for the main part

C major
A sharp major (B flat major)
A minor
G major

The bridge part I think does single notes E,F,G
B string frets 5 then 6 then 8 or use the open high E and go 0,1,3
I think the bridge resolves with a C then a B flat

For the beginning chords try starting off with a Cmajor using a D shape the tab chord would look like xxx12/13/12

xxx12/13/12
xxx10/11/10
xxx9/10/8
xxx7/8/7

I'm just guessing with all that.

The Clarinot is a good call , and turn the highs down on your amp or guitar tone control, or throw a blanket over it.

Good luck man

Thanks dude, this is for the right speaker guitar or left speaker guitar?
I'm Carlos.

Mustachio

I think it was for the right speaker , I only gave it a once over before I went to bed this morning. There is another part in the other speaker ill try to figure out for ya later.

And I think that dark saturated tone is from the reel to reel tape as well as the wobble. You can hear at the end of the song I think he slows down the tape to make the last chord drop a full step.

Now I kinda wish I didn't sell my old rotovibe.

I'll see what I can figure out after all this coffee kicks in.

Side note after that E,F,G in the bridge I think it goes up to the Cmajor D shaped chord xxx12/13/12 then drops back a full step to 10/11/10 then repeats the E,F,G but there is another chord in there like every 3rd or 4th time ill have to give it a listen again when I have a guitar in my hands.

Mac does pretty cool stuff. There is a melody in part of this song that reminds me of something from Nirvana.

Crontox102098

Quote from: Mustachio on October 13, 2014, 11:33:55 PM
I think it was for the right speaker , I only gave it a once over before I went to bed this morning. There is another part in the other speaker ill try to figure out for ya later.

And I think that dark saturated tone is from the reel to reel tape as well as the wobble. You can hear at the end of the song I think he slows down the tape to make the last chord drop a full step.

Now I kinda wish I didn't sell my old rotovibe.

I'll see what I can figure out after all this coffee kicks in.

Side note after that E,F,G in the bridge I think it goes up to the Cmajor D shaped chord xxx12/13/12 then drops back a full step to 10/11/10 then repeats the E,F,G but there is another chord in there like every 3rd or 4th time ill have to give it a listen again when I have a guitar in my hands.

Mac does pretty cool stuff. There is a melody in part of this song that reminds me of something from Nirvana.

Ya! It's pretty quite like Nirvana.

I'm trying this:

8-10-10-9-8-8
6-8-8-7-6-6
5-7-7-5-5-5
3-5-5-4-3-3

For the start, but i'm really not sure.  :icon_sad:
I'm Carlos.