Deep Blue Delay low mix volume

Started by goldenmonkeycolor, October 12, 2014, 11:32:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goldenmonkeycolor

I'm going through a few of my lingering problem circuits that I'd like to get rolling.
I built a deep blue delay from the vero over at tagboard effects- i have linked a schematic (not sure if its exact to the vero though its gotta be really close) I'm having a strange problem.  The volume of the repeats is very quiet.  The mix pot does work at changing the volume of the delayed signal- it goes up and down, but its way quiet.  The pedal works completely normally besides this.  dry signal is fine and seems to be unity gain.  etc. 

I've replaced the mix pot and have checked all my connections and resistors in the circuit.  Ive changed IC's and pt2399's to known working pieces.  I'm guessing right now this is a capacitor somewhere in the mixing part of the circuit.  Could a bad capacitor cause this low volume problem?  worth changing out some of the caps in the mix circuit?

Thanks for the help!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-bEMBMvJwA5Y/TwrbbnpmzoI/AAAAAAAAAbw/EQ70PKQOFes/s1600/seaUrchin_Schematic.gif

bluesdevil

I just finished boxing up a "Sea Urchin" build. If the straight signal and wet both need to be boosted, you can replace R5 (12k) with a 25k linear pot wired as a variable resistor in series with a smallish resistor (4.7K - 6.8k) to raise the overall signal.
If just the wet signal is way too low, you can replace one the mixing resistors...... I need to check the schematic for which one.
EDIT:
I'm guessing R10 is the one to reduce to raise the wet signal ratio, but it's already only 1k, so I'm not sure if it's the problem.
Since it's working otherwise, I would bet it's a cold solder joint or trace that's shorted somewhere. Slide an exacto  blade or other utility blade between traces and if that doesn't do it, reflow the solder around the wet signal circuit.
Also would be a good excuse to get an audio probe going now... it helped me out a lot when I had to debug mine.
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

vigilante397

I tried the Deep Blue vero build a couple times and always had weird problems with it. I eventually gave up and built the Rebote 2.5 from Tonepad, which is almost identical.

If you're intent on fixing it though I agree that the audio probe is a good way to go. I've built more delays than I care to count, and audio probing has helped debug a lot of them.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com