Who has a Pigtronix Attack Sustain?

Started by wavley, October 14, 2014, 10:06:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wavley

So there is a local shop that I do a lot of work repairing stuff in trade for cool stuff that he gets in, and he gets a lot.  Last night I dropped off some stuff and picked up a Pigtronix Attack Sustain.  It's a pretty cool pedal, I played around with it last night with my recently acquired Magnatone lap steel and it gets some pretty great sounds.

Then I opened it up this morning, the first thing I noticed was all the chips have the numbers marked out, I kinda expected that.  What I didn't expect was the flux all over the board and a bunch of caps that have been clipped out and soldered back to the top of the board instead of the old leads removed and the component stuffed through the holes with poorly bent leads and a couple resistors that are the same way.  There's also some mystery component shrink wrapped and flying on the board bypassing a resistor.  None the board is particularly neat work, there is a bit of really willy nilly stuff in there.

So, my question is, did someone rework this pedal or did it leave the factory this way?  The latter really wouldn't surprise me given the old EHX heritage, I've been inside some vintage EHX stuff that I'm frankly surprised ever worked.

Any way it goes, it's a great pedal that sounds great so I'm happy with it, I was just a little caught off guard when I opened it up.  Also, does anybody know what the trim pot does?
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

armdnrdy

I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

wavley

Quote from: armdnrdy on October 14, 2014, 10:43:53 AM
Time to reverse engineer!  :icon_wink:

I don't have time for all that right now, I've got a pregnant wife due on Sunday.  The Philosopher King would be the better unit to do anyway, it's supposed to be a lot better than this one.  I haven't played one, but the compressor control is a bit lacking, still really musical and certainly not complaining considering the price I paid.  But if I were to build something from the ground up it would be the other one.  Who knows, I don't really hang out at the other page (I really try to limit my forum activity to here and Tape Op), maybe they already have.
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

armdnrdy

Oh come on...

You've got till Sunday! I'm sure your Wife will understand!  ;D

Congratulations!
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)