Opinions: will this repair hold up?

Started by Luke51411, October 14, 2014, 12:38:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke51411

I just got an mxr 6band eq smd version. It looks like the last owner tried to replace the stomp switch and lifted some traces. I was able to repair it by soldering wires in place of the traces not the smd pads they go to. Will this be likely to hold up? I'm not concerned for myself but if I should sell the pedal I wouldn't want it to break again a few months down the road. Is there a better way to repair traces?

anotherjim

If the thru hole pad is lifted or missing (and it's best to cut it off if lifted), I'd scrape the solder resist off the remaining trace for about 1/4". Tin the exposed copper with solder. Solder a fine single strand wire to connect trace to component (Wire-wrapping wire is really good for this). Clean off flux. Coat with PCB lacquer.

There is a really pro way to repair thru hole pads - you can get a kit of copper top hat ferrules than be riveted into the hole, but I haven't seen any outside a manufacturers rework room.

Luke51411

What is wire wrapping wire? Thanks for the info. I didn't even think to scrape off the solder resist as what I have done is the way I've always repaired broken pads.

Seljer

The individual wires inside CAT5 network cable are also about the right size for such repairs.

Luke51411

Ok cool thanks. I'll have to rework my repair. I didn't realize two of the lugs on the switch were connected anyway so as is now only half of the leds on the sliders light up :P

PRR

When soldering to very small parts, use very small wire.

There used to be a tool of hair-fine wire in a "pen" with the spool on top and a needle-nozzle on the working end. The wire was insulated but the insulation burnt-off at solder heat. You'd pull 1/8" out, lay it on your target, tap it with a tinned iron, and you got a joint. Move to the other target, tap the iron for a joint. Then tip the nozzle and it cut the wire. Have not seen one in decades.

Wire-wrapping was for LOTS of wires in small space. As evolved in the computer industry you could have several thousand runs in a square foot of DIP sockets. (Big jobs were run by robots and then debugged by very overworked humans.) The wire is still around and fairly easy to find. "Kynar" is the insulation, and "kynar wire" is a good search-term. Usually #30. There is also a tool to wrap and strip; you don't need wrap but the stripper may be handy.
  • SUPPORTER

anotherjim

You can still get the verowire system
http://www.rapidonline.com/pdf/532630_an_en_01.pdf
I made some digital boards with it ages ago but still have the pen and wire spools. It was good for doing data and address bus runs with, but rework and trouble shooting is a bit tricky. You have to be very careful where you stick the soldering iron. My pen has a melted tip for some reason :(
A spool or 2 of Kynar wirewrap will probably last you a long time. It's also very good for adding wires on pcb's for mods or error correction. It's thin and flexible enough to run under IC sockets and share pad holes. The insulation is tough but will shrink away and leave a small hole if touched by the iron.