D.C. Jack Filter for Wah

Started by soupbone, October 16, 2014, 01:48:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

soupbone

I've been using a 100uf cap with a 1N4001 as a filter for a d.c. jack for a wah.The problem I have with the 1N4001 is the the leads are thicker than a resistor.I thought about using a 1N34A instead,because they have about the same voltage rating,and the leads are more like a resistor.Would this work?

Kipper4

Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

soupbone

Seljer

Schottkey diode, it provides an even lower voltage drop than germanium.

You can use the regular 1n914/1n4148 as well if you're wiring it in series, they're rated for a couple of 100mA, way more current than what a typical pedal is draws.

soupbone

Quote from: Seljer on October 16, 2014, 03:53:22 AM
Schottkey diode, it provides an even lower voltage drop than germanium.

You can use the regular 1n914/1n4148 as well if you're wiring it in series, they're rated for a couple of 100mA, way more current than what a typical pedal is draws.
Right on.Are you talking about soldering two 1N914's/IN4148's together in series?Thanks to you and kipper!

Seljer

Nah, just one, they're basically interchangeable, so whatever you have on hand.

I wouldn't use a 1N914 for the reversed biased to ground (parallel to the power supply) type of polarity protection though, it'll probably fail too quickly before the power supply blows it's fuse and expose the rest of the circuit to negative voltage, thus failing at protecting it

soupbone

Quote from: Seljer on October 16, 2014, 04:37:09 AM
Nah, just one, they're basically interchangeable, so whatever you have on hand.

I wouldn't use a 1N914 for the reversed biased to ground (parallel to the power supply) type of polarity protection though, it'll probably fail too quickly before the power supply blows it's fuse and expose the rest of the circuit to negative voltage, thus failing at protecting it
Ok cool.Thanks!

Kipper4

Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/