Inverting Outputs

Started by makaze808, October 16, 2014, 04:22:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

makaze808

I use a 1980's Maxon CS-01, a chorus based on (or identical to) the CS-9. I recently bought a Boss CE-5 but found it no where near as rich as the Maxon, due to I think the fact the stereo output is just a dry signal whereas the Maxon's stereo output is labelled Inverting. I also remember on Tonepad there was a sub board for a phaser project called an inverting board for stereo output.
I have a homebrew stereo tube amp and have been looking for a stereo Flanger, the boss BF-3 seems to be the best for quality of flange and price. But I have started to wonder whether using an inverting output would be useful. Is this how stereo flangers produce the stereo out or is a flange not suitable for inverting one output?

Seljer

Heres a recent thread on the same topic: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=108646.0

There are multiple ways you can accomplish "stereo" chorus.
One is two run one output just the dry signal and one output just the wet signal and have the mixing happen "in ear" rather than before the amp
One is to run the dry and wet to both outputs and then invert just the wet signal on one of them, this is what the Maxon CS9 schematic shows and whats accomplished with the little board from the Tonepad chorus, so you get some "in ear" mixing between the interference of the the out of phase wet signals.
The fanciest way is to have two separate delay lines (maybe even with seperate or slightly out of sync LFOs), with each output getting chorus'ed individually , this one probably gives the lushest and widest sound!

The CE5 and BF3 are digital so I'm not sure what's going on in there.

bool

+1 for WET and -WET mixing

So if I understood correctly, and you want to design a stereo-mixing sub-board, you could also design-in a band-pass filter for the wet signal in order to achieve more of perceived "richness".

Our tastes may differ, a band-pass will make the wet signal appear slightly more "analog".

Personally, I would most likely choose a band from 120Hz to 6kHz.

Of course, you may have had other things in mind ...