Orande Squeezer - DIY - debugging

Started by rizziol, October 19, 2014, 10:45:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rizziol

:icon_cry: Hello everyone,
This is the first time i write here. I ve already built some extremely simple pedals like a/b box and stuff and i decide it to give it a try on the tonepad´s orange squeezer version 2(the one with a level pot).
When i finished the cirucuit i directly conected the input and the output to the board to test it. There was no sound at all going out, even though i realised that there was a very low noise(hiss) coming from the amplifier and that when i messed with the level pot i could hear some difference from the level of the noise.
I double-checked the resistors values, capacitors values, the voltages and the solder.
Then i ve built a audio probe and began testing. Almost every place i´ve tested was alright, there was sound going out of the amplifier. But there is one spot at the beggining of the circuit that there´s no sound. it ís right before the first 82k resistor. I´ve changed it for a new one but still the same problem. In fact, between the 0.047 capacitor and the 82 k resistor, there is a very low, almost imperceptible sound coming out. I had to raise all the volume of my amplifier toi rear it.
If anybody could give a hint of what´s going on i would b very pleased! I am begginer on building pedals and it´s very hard for me to understand what is wrong!
The readings of my circuit:

(4558)
PIN1  7,68
PIN2 7,68
PIN3 7,58
PIN4 8,18
PIN5 4,08
PIN6 7,7
PIN7 7,7
PIN8 9,05

Q1(2sk246)
D 8,08
G 8,69
S 8,08

Q2(2sk246)
D 9,05
G 8,66
S 8,66

And some pics of the circuit:

PRR

"All" (almost) your voltages are 9 Volts or very close.

That usually means you do not have a connection to battery Negative.
  • SUPPORTER

wildebelor

On first glance your in + gnd connections seem awfully close together / connected.
I would flip the board so the board is literally facing up and re flow some joints and make sure everything is definitely connected.
I've had some silly issues with connections that couldn't be explained until I reflowed joints!  :icon_redface:
I can't think of anything funny just yet.

bluebunny

Quote from: PRR on October 19, 2014, 09:58:56 PM
That usually means you do not have a connection to battery Negative.

+1  Your GND connection (the black wire) looks suspect.  I'd re-flow it.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

rizziol

Thank you for the reply!
I believe the best thing i should do is to do print a new pcb, dessolder the components and populate the new  board. My actual board is too messy! :icon_frown: . I will buy a new iron solder with a thinner tip to improve the precision of the solder!!
I will keep you updated!

bluebunny

I don't think the board is messy at all.  But you do have a couple of joints - particularly the GND connection - which would benefit from re-flowing.  Gotta be worth a try!
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

rizziol

Do you guys think it is cold solder/bad connection or short-circuit??

PRR

> Do you guys think it is cold solder/bad connection or short-circuit??

do not have a connection to battery Negative
  • SUPPORTER

askwho69

He said you have no negative connection the GND to battery
"To live is to die"

antonis

Propably you have to fill (or re-solder) the "hole" in the GND pad joint..

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

rizziol

;D :D ;) GOD BLESS YOU GUYS!!!  It worked!!!  I´d just reflowed it the joints you´ve have told me and voila!!!

Thank a lot !!!!!

Elijah-Baley

I just finished my Orange Squeezer, sabrotone layout. It is based on tonepad schematic.

I was testing only the circuit (without footswitch), and just one thing: I hadn't soldered the pot, I need it for another circuit.
At the beginning it doesn't work, no sound. Suddenly, while I was leaning the guitar on my legs, the sound came out. (I don't know how), but the sound was in overdrive. I adjust the trimmer, so I got the right sound!  :D
Well, perhaps not exactly the right sound. I like the compression when the sound is still dirty, when I adjust the trimmer I can go away the dirty, the compression effect seems to me nice yet, but there's something like a buzz. And if I adjust the trimmer again I get a clean sound but maybe with less compression.

Unfortunately, without switch I can't hear the difference between bypass and engage.

Have I adjust the trimmer just by my ears?

Thank you! And I'm glad for your Orange Squeezer DIY.
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

karbomusic

QuoteHave I adjust the trimmer just by my ears?

When I built the OS, I set the trimmer so that it was basically unity when the volume pot was at ~50%. YMMV.

Elijah-Baley

Pardon, maybe is because I'm a little newbie, and not a good "english speaker", I didn't understand what you mean.  :(
Some further clue?  :P
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»

karbomusic

Quote from: Elijah-Baley on October 22, 2014, 10:21:55 AM
Pardon, maybe is because I'm a little newbie, and not a good "english speaker", I didn't understand what you mean.  :(
Some further clue?  :P

Oops sorry. :) Set the OS volume at 50%, set the trimmer so that the average volume of the guitar is the same when engaged vs bypassed. If anything this will give you a good starting point or be "just right" as far as how that circuit is supposed to work if I remember correctly that is. :)

Elijah-Baley

Thank you very much. I got it now!
So I'll adjust better when I sold jacks and footswitch.  ;)

duck_arse

prr has a way to set the trimmer with the dmm, but you'd have to search for the thread/method.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

Elijah-Baley

I'm gonna try to find it.

Sorry if I use this topic (if I can), but I don't want to begin a "My Orange Squeezer".

About the pedal: I test it again.
What exactly this pedal make?  :P
I notice:
- attack is about the same than without the effect.
- the one pot is a volume pot.
- it work like a limiter, limit the peak.
- the sound is less bright than without effect

I don't understand a thing about the trimmer, some adjusting make a buzz (no distortion), should I avoid that? Or that will fade away when I'll put the circuit into the box?
Is there some way to have more attack?

Thank you!

midwayfair

Quote from: Elijah-Baley on October 22, 2014, 12:20:35 PMsome adjusting make a buzz (no distortion), should I avoid that?

Yes -- you want to avoid that. There is a very small range where you will get compression, about 10% of the travel. Too low and it doesn't compress and you get noise. Too high and you get almost no sound. That's why it's a trimpot and not outside! I set mine up by turning up the trimpot until there is almost no sound, and then turn the trimpot back very slowly until it comes back. Usually, unity volume is ... around 50% on the volume knob when I do this. Both ways work.

"Attack" in a compressor refers to how quickly it starts compressing. Is that what you're asking about? Or do you want more effect/more compression?
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

Elijah-Baley

Quote from: midwayfair on October 22, 2014, 12:50:42 PM
That's why it's a trimpot and not outside!

Indeed, trimpot is the best solution.  ;)

Quote from: midwayfair on October 22, 2014, 12:50:42 PM
"Attack" in a compressor refers to how quickly it starts compressing. Is that what you're asking about? Or do you want more effect/more compression?

Of course it is hard to explain. I never had a compressor.
In practice, I'm asking if this circuit could raise the volume of the notes play softly, and have all notes at the same volume. I meant this, I hope I explained well enough  :-\.