Stratoblaster hickup

Started by Bison204, October 21, 2014, 01:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison204

Hi everyone, first time poster. Been lurking a while, built 2 pedals and am having a little issue with the stratoblaster. It works and gives lots of boost but gives no boost at all until the knob is turned to about 2 o clock. Then it's full boost. It's kind of all or nothing with the cut off being around 2 o clock any ideas where I might have gone wrong?
Thanks!

nocentelli

That sounds normal due to the way the gain control works. A simple fix is to use a 20k or even 10k pot instead.
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

GibsonGM

Hi Bison, welcome to the forum!   Here is the schematic so people can see what you mean (useful to post it):  http://www.beavisaudio.com/schematics/Alembic-Stratoblaster-Schematic.htm

Yeah, looks like nocentelli hit on it...that gain pot would be more useful if it were a smaller value.   Don't forget it's a LINEAR or "B" taper pot, not audio taper, if you go buying/ordering...This is just because the useful range of the pot is bunched up, and the higher resistance it can provide does nothing in the circuit (for lack of an easier way to explain that, ha ha).
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Bison204

Thanks to both of you for the knowledgeable replies! I will try a different pot in it asap. Can't wait to get this thing going!   :icon_cool:

GibsonGM

Good luck!  You'll get this one going, then probably want to build 10 more pedals, ha ha!   :) 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Elijah-Baley

It has been like that for me!  ;D
Some circuits complete, but just one in a box.
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

GibsonGM

Quote from: Elijah-Baley on October 22, 2014, 08:04:00 AM
It has been like that for me!  ;D
Some circuits complete, but just one in a box.

Thought I was the only one, ha ha...I have 4 on breadboard right now, trying to get "perfect".   Others are on perf, pots and jacks hanging off.    but I DO have 10+ distortions, vibes/phaser things that I use in my board - managed to get them done and out the door before the REAL sickness hit...
  • SUPPORTER