Tag Board layout question.

Started by steveyraff, October 21, 2014, 10:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveyraff

Hey guys,

I've actually not worked with perfboard much before, I generally use PCB's. So anyway, noob questions coming your way. Have a look at this tag board. There is a long link on the far left of the board. How come in the two pictures, this link is in different places?

I don't understand, I thought the top and bottom picture should be the same, and the bottom is just showing only the cuts and links.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Ph6MDEOrFIc/UytG7Z4oioI/AAAAAAAAGXE/L2eaRsuM7WI/s1600/001-Acoustic360Fuzz.png

Thanks
Steve.
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

steveyraff

Also, I'm not guessing I did my cuts all on the wrong side. I did the cuts with the copper side facing me. If it's supposed to be the same as the top pic, I guess I should have been marking my cuts with the copper side down, right?
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

Luke51411

It looks like that link is in a different place on the second picture. I would go by the first one though you could just switch the link and the 470k resistor columns without a problem. Yes you are supposed to mark the cuts from the non copper side. I did that on my first vero build as well.

steveyraff

Quote from: Luke51411 on October 21, 2014, 10:17:23 AM
It looks like that link is in a different place on the second picture. I would go by the first one though you could just switch the link and the 470k resistor columns without a problem. Yes you are supposed to mark the cuts from the non copper side. I did that on my first vero build as well.

Ah ok. Cool, thanks very much for the help and speedy reply Luke.

Cheers :)
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

steveyraff

Oh by the way - haven't been able to Google an answer for this one either - what are blue dots at the top left and bottom right corners representing? ?
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

Luke51411

Probably just a remnant of exporting the file? They don't mean anything as far as building the vero layout is concerned.

steveyraff

Quote from: Luke51411 on October 21, 2014, 10:27:57 AM
Probably just a remnant of exporting the file? They don't mean anything as far as building the vero layout is concerned.

Ah ok - was just checking. Cheers Luke! :)
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

duck_arse

those particular blue dots mean that the "boards" were selected in the layout program when the image was exported.

and if you are going to use that layout, check your transistor pinouts for the parts you have against the board markings. and then check them again, against the datasheet.
don't make me draw another line.

steveyraff

Quote from: duck_arse on October 21, 2014, 10:44:55 AM
those particular blue dots mean that the "boards" were selected in the layout program when the image was exported.

and if you are going to use that layout, check your transistor pinouts for the parts you have against the board markings. and then check them again, against the datasheet.

Will do duck, thans. I'm using the transistors listed in the layout. :) I'll double check their pinouts match up.
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

digi2t

The way I do it, put the vero image into Paint, flip it horizontally, and print it.

Cut your vero, and put it in front of you, copper side toward you.

Transfer the cuts from your reversed image, to your vero, with a Sharpie (mark the cut on the copper, mark it off the page, repeat...).

Make your cuts.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

karbomusic

I just moved to using transparencies (when I do Vero)...

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=108977.msg994948#msg994948

WhiskeyMadeMeDoIt

I use a sharpie and jam it into the hole form the top side. Once they are marked I flip it over and hold it at a slight angle facing a light. You can clearly see the marks. Now you just place your cutter tool and give it a twist.
I made  a tool like this:

This is what it looks like after a few twist back and forth.

You can get the beads a a craft store or WalMart. A little glue or epoxy on the drill bit and place your beads. Let it dry and your ready to go.

Arcane Analog

For clarity's sake, this is not a tagboard layout. It is called vero, veroboard or stripboard.

davent

I use this to locate and mark the cuts then drill through them with a slightly bigger bit. Flip and severe the strip.

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

steveyraff

Cool - thanks guys. I made a little tool like that a while back too! Sorry - I meant to call it a vero in the title.

So a few other little questions about grounding.

I am boxing it up today. I am using this wiring diagram for my 3pdt. http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/StompboxWiring/

• Output sleeve is going to board's ground. I've already used the ground on my board for the input sleeve though. I was wondering, can I use the next hole over?

Also, the layout also directs "Gain 1 and Volume 1 to ground". I am not sure exactly what this means. Where do I put Gain 1 and Volume 1 to exactly? ?

Thanks guys :)
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

Luke51411

Everything that says ground is connected to everything else that says ground. I would then connect the output sleeve to the input sleeve and input sleeve to ground on the stomp switch or vice versa.

steveyraff

Quote from: Luke51411 on October 22, 2014, 11:53:26 AM
Everything that says ground is connected to everything else that says ground. I would then connect the output sleeve to the input sleeve and input sleeve to ground on the stomp switch or vice versa.

Going by the wiring diagram I linked to which I am using, I presume ground on the Switch is the left row, middle lug?

So I could connect Gain1 and Volume 1 together - then connect them to this lug?
Then connect my Output Sleeve to my Input sleeve which is already going to this ground lug?

Confussing lol. I think I got that right?
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

Luke51411

Yes the left middle lug on the stomp is going to ground. You could connect gain and volume 1 to that lug but you also have to run ground to there as well. I would probably try to just connect that lug to ground via the input or output sleeve as there is more room for more connections typically on a jack solder lug. Personally I try to connect pot lugs that go to ground to the ground row on the vero but that's just my preference.

steveyraff

Quote from: Luke51411 on October 22, 2014, 01:22:23 PM
Yes the left middle lug on the stomp is going to ground. You could connect gain and volume 1 to that lug but you also have to run ground to there as well. I would probably try to just connect that lug to ground via the input or output sleeve as there is more room for more connections typically on a jack solder lug. Personally I try to connect pot lugs that go to ground to the ground row on the vero but that's just my preference.

Cool - cheers Luke!

My final N00balicious question of the night (hopefully), is about where it says Volume 2 to Output. Can someone tell me more clearly what this means? If it is to the Output jack - which jack lug? Tip or Sleeve?
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

steveyraff

ERM.... YIIIIKES!

Ok. So I have it all wired up.

I turned it on with the back plate still off.

LED went on, but thats not the problem. The back of the Gain pot LIT UP LIKE A LIGHTBULB! Smoke started pouring out of it.

Any idea with the crap I did majorly wrong here?!

Wiring of Gain pot is going as so:

Lug 1 to Volume Lug 1. Volume Lug 1 to Output Sleeve. Output Sleeve to Switch Ground Lug.

Gain Lug 3 to Attack Lug 2 as directed. 

I am presuming as I look at the back of a pot, they are numbered 3 - 2 -1 from left to right.

I'm sure that's that pot fried. Any chance I messed up any components on my circuit too? I was extremely meticulous when I made the board, so I am pretty certain that part is fine. I am much more unsure about my off board wiring so it much be that.

The only parts I haven't done are as follows: The wiring diagram I am following shows the bottom right switch lug going to the boards output. My vero board layout doesn't show an output, so I don't know what to do there? It also states I need to put volume lug 2 to Output. Where does that mean?

Here is a picture of the now smouldering mess I am working on. Yes, it looks very messy, so this probably doesn't help at all. Sorry.
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk