22n film cap

Started by Adamo, October 21, 2014, 04:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adamo

I ordered components for a madbean Slow Loris build and I needed 2 - 22n film caps. This is what I received: http://www.pedalpartsplus.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PPP&Product_Code=3201&Category_Code=CAPF

Will these be ok to use even though they are mammoth? Did I order the wrong item?

armdnrdy

22nf = .022µf

This might help you out in the future:

http://www.justradios.com/uFnFpF.html

The cap you purchased is pretty large! You might have to work a little to make it fit....depending on how tight the board layout is.
You should go for 63-100 volt poly caps...for smaller sized components.

Edit: This is what you needed.
http://www.pedalpartsplus.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PPP&Product_Code=3029&Category_Code=CAPF
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

italianguy63

Those are the "mojo" tone caps used for guitars... you can re-sell them I expect with not too much difficultly.

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

Adamo

Thanks guys, I'll re order.

duck_arse

pedalparts is showing a photo of a 600V part but selling a 400V part. helpful.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

PRR

> mammoth?

You got a 400 Volt cap.

The Slow Loris takes only a 9V supply (and has no trickery to boost that). So you only need a 9V cap.

It is often wise to double the apparent strain on the cap when picking from the catalog, to cover uncertainty and slop and stage accidents. This suggests at least 18V rating.

So there *may* be a cap 1/20th (18V/400V) of the size which you could use.

> film caps

However film only comes so thin. Regular kitchen plastic wrap can stand hundreds of volts; if they try to make the film a lot thinner it rips and punctures a lot. So it is not unusual that the lowest rating in "film" is 50V or 100V. Some values aren't worth making in less than 400V.

Also: you ordered the Orange Drops, and the foil version. This is a VERY BIG capacitor construction, for pulse-circuits in tube gear. It will work fine in your puny Loris; question is will it fit?

PedalPartPlus' site is IMHO not well organized. In a quick-skim I found this: {EDIT: Larry found it first}

0.022 uf 63v Polyester Film Capacitor  Code: 3029  $0.15

That is 22nFd. The 63V is plenty-ample for a 9V chore. The price is around a tenth what you paid for the big Drop. The exact size is not given, but from the picture (and price! and by handling a lot of caps over the years) I'm sure it is much smaller than the big Drop.
  • SUPPORTER

Adamo

In this case, would I be able to use a ceramic cap instead of the film cap provided they both had the same specs? Are the 2 types interchangeable?

PRR

Small ceramics (under 1000pFd or 1nFd) are excellent caps.

Larger ceramics use trickery to get high capacitance. Historically, audiophiles avoid high-value ceramics because they may distort the signal. Often very little; however even my deaf ears can sometimes hear the difference.

Since the Loris is a distortion effect, I'd go ahead and try it.
  • SUPPORTER