"Tropical fish" capacitors = Mojo?

Started by LucasElerBrazil, October 21, 2014, 09:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LucasElerBrazil

Hi guys. I am Brazilian, my english can paracer a little confused because I'm using the translator.

Recentimente got into a scrap several plates of an Electronic Organ Saema. Probably 70's.
These cards have many, many capacitors style "Tropical fish". (as in the photos)
I wonder if those old capacitors can be utilized in new projects and if they acresentam a certain "mojo" in the sound. Thank you!

Jdansti

Welcome!

The capacitors can be utilized provided they still work. Old electrolytic capacitors are more likely to fail than other types. It would probably be a good idea to test them if you have a meter that can do this. Keep in mind that most capacitors in stompboxes do not have to be the exact value specified for the circuit to operate properly. +/- 20% to 50% of the rated value will usually not cause any problem.

As for 'mojo', the engineers on the forum say that the tropical fish capacitors are not better than any other type. The colors were used to mark the value of the capacitors.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

LucasElerBrazil

I'll have a lot of work to remove all these capacitors these cards. Has many.

I will use a capacimeter to make the measurement of them all, suddenly I can use them on any pedal.
The look of them is pretty cool.
About timbre "Mojo", I think a lot of it is legend ...
But it's still interesting approach!  :)

Govmnt_Lacky

BE sure to look at the IC chips and the transistors too. I woudl say take what you can. Despite the "mojo" you will at least get a good supply of caps to start  ;D
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

LucasElerBrazil

Problem are the codes. The colors that are the reference values​​.
The capacimeter shows the value in pF, nF, these cps? ???

duck_arse

one way to capitalise on all the mojo is to pull the caps, clean off all the dirt, and put them on eekbay. people who need it will pay good money for mojo, then you can spend the dough on bucket-loads of brand-new caps.
don't make me draw another line.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: duck_arse on October 22, 2014, 10:13:06 AM
one way to capitalise on all the mojo is to pull the caps, clean off all the dirt, and put them on eekbay. people who need it will pay good money for mojo, then you can spend the dough on bucket-loads of brand-new caps.

^^^ +1000  ;D
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Hatredman

Hi Lucas

Where are you in Brazil? I'd like to buy the keyboard of that Saema.

Here's something that might help you identify those "tropical fish caps":

http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/capacitor/cap_5.html
Kirk Hammet invented the Burst Box.

LucasElerBrazil

Hi, Hatredman.

I'm from the state of Minas Gerais.
I do not have the keyboard, only some parts of the plate. Found in a scrap.
Unfortunately someone disassembled the organ of a crueu form.  :-\