Combination Volume / Buffered Splitter

Started by Astronaurt, October 22, 2014, 01:11:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Astronaurt

Hey Y'all

So I have this idea to make a Combo Volume Pedal / Buffered Signal Splitter pedal using this old Wah Shell I've got laying around. I figure if you can combine the functionality of both in the same unit then all the best, right? Rough idea for a block diagram that I'd use goes something along the lines of:

Input Jack -> Input amplifier -> Volume control -> Split buffered outputs -> 2 output jacks

Probably using basic clean FET stages for the input amplifier and output buffers, in a similar vein to these Circuits because I have all their necessary parts laying around:
http://www.muzique.com/schem/mosfet.htm
http://www.muzique.com/lab/splitter.htm

My question I'd like to pose surrounds the thing I've heard about problems using Wah Shells because they don't ever give you the full range of a Pot and thus don't give you a full range of volume. I'm wondering what people have come up with to mitigate or circumvent this? I'm looking into using the Wah Sweep to do Voltage control because I also have a B100K Wah Pot laying around that would be easy to use for that purpose. And then I'd want to make sure that solution is appropriate to load and drive the proceeding and succeeding stages. The simplest ideas are usually going to be the best. Any thoughts?

antonis

Quote from: Astronaurt on October 22, 2014, 01:11:23 AM
The simplest ideas are usually going to be the best. Any thoughts?
You can "oversize" the Volume pot...

(if you have a 2/3 usefull range of a 100k pot you can substitute it with a 150k..)

edit: If you want to use the excisting pot (100kB) and the above mentioned booster/amplifier maybe you'll have to wire the gain trimpot (R6) as an external control knob...
(unless your need for gain is strictly fix & customized..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..