Transistors and DMM

Started by simonrichie, October 22, 2014, 04:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simonrichie

My DMM has holes for transistors. I've tried several (2N3904, 2N5088, 2N5089) get readings of either 6, 7, or 8. Shouldn't it be more like 210, 330, etc.?

nick d

You need to know which leads on the transistor under test correspond with the C B E  sockets on the DMM , otherwise any readings are meaningless .

PRR

> 6, 7, or 8.

That could be reasonable if the E and C are swapped. (Forward hFE is maybe 200, reverse hFe is much lower, 1 to 10.)
  • SUPPORTER

simonrichie

Double-, triple-, quadruple-checked. Those were the readings. (The holes are in the CBE order, so it'd be really hard to @#$% it up.) Later in the day I tried some other trannies that had regular readings. I'm attributing it to the DMM being a cheap POS.

PRR

> holes are in the CBE

C and E are easy to switch.

Many Japanese transistors have B on one end, not in the middle.
  • SUPPORTER

nick d

Are you sure the tranny is the right way round , i.e. EBC or CBE ? I just plugged a 2n3094 in at random , got an hfe of 2 . Rotate 180, it reads 183 . Give it a shot .

simonrichie

Yup.

I put it the other way (this is an MPSA18) and I get 812. I put it the "right" way and I get 7.

Is this because it's a Tayda product, or is this fairly common? Should I be checking every transistor on the DMM for orientation?

-SR

simonrichie

Nope. Wrong again.

I was following a vero layout that had the orientation of the tranny reversed.

Sheesh.

nick d

The supplier ( Tayda or whoever ) is irrelevant , they just sell them .
    If I come across a transistor I've not seen or used before , I look up the pinout on the data sheet ,
    and write it down in my little notebook for future reference .
    I've seen quite a few layouts posted with reversed pinouts , as if  " pin view " and " top view "
    had been swapped .

So , if in doubt , check , then check again . Twice .

PRR

> I get 812

"Right" answer for MPSA18 is 500 to a thousand (depending what current and voltage you test at).

So 812 is right down center field.

Datasheets never give the reverse beta, so your reading of 6 to 8 is possibly good-to-know for analyzing odd or mis-wired (mis-documented) circuits.)

• SUPPORTER