Dual Gain Knob Footswitch

Started by rthryhorysak, October 22, 2014, 09:49:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rthryhorysak

Does anyone know how I could have two different gain knobs and with a foot switch, switch between the two? It would be for this pedal, and I would like for the footswitch to have an led to indicate the second gain knob is activated.

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2014/05/blakemore-effects-rous.html

PRR

• SUPPORTER

rthryhorysak

Thanks for the response! However, I am fairly new to this and I don't really understand the wiring. Did you mean to connect the to gain pot? Is output circuit or the output jack? I also dont get why the 9v is needed. For the led?

vigilante397

Paul's method would work if you wanted two different volume knobs (which is actually a pretty good idea for some pedals), and the lead he marked as "Output" would become the circuit out, and would connect to your bypass footswitch. If I were to do two gain knobs I would wire it like this:

The resistor value could vary depending on how bright you want your LED to be, but I usually use 4.7k. Oh, and I forgot to note on there that the negative lead of the LED would go to ground. Hope this helps ;D
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

antonis

It should be a good idea (and more expensive..) to use two different colour LEDs (with the same colour of the respective knob) for indication of which pot is active..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

GibsonGM

...or just note that no LED means pot 1 is active, and place the LED next to the other pot, showing you that it's the one that's on...
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

antonis

Quote from: GibsonGM on October 23, 2014, 10:02:20 AM
...or just note that no LED means pot 1 is active, and place the LED next to the other pot, showing you that it's the one that's on...

not fancy enough..  :icon_frown:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

vigilante397

If you wanted to get fancy I would suggest a dual-color LED, so you still only have to have space for one LED but you could have red for pot 1, green for pot 2.

But if you were REALLY fancy you would get transparent knobs with the LED mounted behind them so the pot lights up when it's selected. That would be cool 8)
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

rthryhorysak

Thanks a lot guys! I'm not that fancy, so I'll stick with two LEDs. If I leave gain 2 on them turn the pedal off with the LED for gain 2 turn off as well?

blearyeyes

Keep in mind there are two different circuits with pots. Voltage divider and Variable resistor. Ones for gain and one is for output volume...

vigilante397

Quote from: rthryhorysak on October 23, 2014, 07:06:23 PM
Thanks a lot guys! I'm not that fancy, so I'll stick with two LEDs. If I leave gain 2 on them turn the pedal off with the LED for gain 2 turn off as well?

Nope, if you wire it the way I posted that LED will stay on as long as the pedal has power, even if it's in bypass.
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

PRR

> why the 9v is needed. For the led?

Yes.

> Did you mean to connect the to gain pot?

Ah, I mis-read your question.  :icon_sad:

Nathan's plan is correct.

One thing... if you go for two LEDs, Natan's plan (and mine) can be re-rigged to use one resistor for two LEDs (if they are similar brightness at similar current). Run +9V through resistor, then to switch center lug. Each end lug goes to an LED. If one LED does turn out too bright, throw another 5K or so just in its path.
  • SUPPORTER

vigilante397

CONGRATULATIONS TO PAUL ON HITTING 6000 POSTS!!!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

ashcat_lt

Quote from: vigilante397 on October 23, 2014, 10:19:56 PMNope, if you wire it the way I posted that LED will stay on as long as the pedal has power, even if it's in bypass.
But if instead of going straight to the battery here you got 9V from the "led on lug" of the bypass switch...

Should work for PRR's idea too.

vigilante397

Quote from: ashcat_lt on October 24, 2014, 10:39:49 PM

But if instead of going straight to the battery here you got 9V from the "led on lug" of the bypass switch...

Should work for PRR's idea too.

Excellent point, didn't even think of that.
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com