How to supply this phantom/+15-0--15V power supply?

Started by Crontox102098, October 24, 2014, 08:58:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crontox102098

Just that... how to supply this:

Hope you can help me :(
I'm Carlos.

I speak spanish, just in case you do not understand what I say.

GibsonGM

Try reading up on dual polarity power supplies.  http://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/supply3.asp

There are many plans and info on the internet about this!  There are a few different ways to do this, but I am seeing that you need a large center-tapped transformer over what, 32VAC?
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Crontox102098

Quote from: GibsonGM on October 24, 2014, 09:07:35 AM
Try reading up on dual polarity power supplies.  http://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/supply3.asp

There are many plans and info on the internet about this!  There are a few different ways to do this, but I am seeing that you need a large center-tapped transformer over what, 32VAC?

Just need 500ma as much, i think dont need to be large...
I'm Carlos.

GibsonGM

500mA is 1/2A...pretty large!   That said, you will need at least 30V to get the + and -  15V.  PLUS a few volts for the regulators.  I think more like 36V or so. 

With some research on the net, you can probably find that someone has already done this, and in a simpler way than what I am picturing in my old-school way.   There are charge pumps and things that can be used.    Personally, I might try to find an old computer power supply that gives both voltages!  +/- 18V is not uncommon.   You would have to filter out noise, most likely.

Another way involves a 30+ volt power supply where YOU create the center tap with resistors, which becomes your ground point.

Look on Google; I think you will find a way to do this on there that you can easily understand.  "15V dual polarity power supply"
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Crontox102098

Quote from: GibsonGM on October 24, 2014, 11:09:32 AM
500mA is 1/2A...pretty large!   That said, you will need at least 30V to get the + and -  15V.  PLUS a few volts for the regulators.  I think more like 36V or so. 

With some research on the net, you can probably find that someone has already done this, and in a simpler way than what I am picturing in my old-school way.   There are charge pumps and things that can be used.    Personally, I might try to find an old computer power supply that gives both voltages!  +/- 18V is not uncommon.   You would have to filter out noise, most likely.

Another way involves a 30+ volt power supply where YOU create the center tap with resistors, which becomes your ground point.

Look on Google; I think you will find a way to do this on there that you can easily understand.  "15V dual polarity power supply"

And... a pair of little +15/0/-15V transformer and 50/0V?
I'm Carlos.

GibsonGM

There are many schematics for how to do this if you search the internet!  It only depends on what parts you want to buy.   This is the easiest way, in my opinion.  You will need an appropriate-sized transformer to do this.  Notice how they are "MAKING" a ground at the center point (transformer center tap).  The positive and negative voltages are simply referenced from this point.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Power-supplies-tutorial/step4/Dual-Polarity-Power-Supply-78-79xx-Series/

• SUPPORTER

Transmogrifox

Maybe a little expensive, but you can look for things like this:
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/EML15US36-P/1470-2630-ND/4809100

Switch-mode power supplies are efficient and compact in size.
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.