Power supply for a Roger Mayer Classic Fuzz

Started by automa, October 24, 2014, 11:28:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

automa

I have been trying to provide my Classic Fuzz with a power supply but it seems the circuit has a positive ground as if I connect the power supply the way I would think is 'normal' my Gator 8-BUS caves in and switches off. Is there a way to reverse the polarity within the Classic Fuzz? I really want to integrate it in my pedalboard without major hassles.

duck_arse

hello and welcome, automa.

the classic does seem to be a positive ground pedal, so you can't daisy chain the power supply with a neg ground pedal. you need either a dedicated supply for the pos ground, or build a charge-pump inverter thing , like a road kill from madbean. the inverter then supplies the classic from a standard neg ground supply, so you can daisy it.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

R.G.

Wow. That's two "just reverse the grounds" posts in three days.

The short answer to "can I just reverse the grounds somehow" is that
(a) yes, you can; but it's tricky work
and
(b) it's a bad idea to do this.

Reversed ground pedals sometimes work fine. But sometimes, and unpredictably, they have intractable noise problems, for which the cure is to put the ground back the way it was.

A second power adapter for all of the positive-ground pedals in your pedalboard, even if that's only one pedal, is far, far cheaper than the pedal it powers, and vastly more reliable than playing ground tricks on the circuit.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

automa

Thx for the replies guys. And for the welcome. I wanted to keep my pedalboard stripped as much as I can with just one power source. And avoid getting into cumbersome solutions. I've been offered a charge pump PCB, maybe i'll try that. As I am toying with replaing the Calssic Fuzz with a Muff BigPi here's another question: does the Muff BigPi have negative ground? and @RG: are you GeoFex RG? If so thx for being a great resource for information on stompboxes.

bloxstompboxes

The big muff does have negative ground and he is one and the same.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.