Odd transistors question

Started by Korni, October 24, 2014, 04:17:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Korni

As a beginner I was thinking about experimenting with different transistors (OD808 is too much for me) and since sometimes i can't find datasheet, I wanted to know if there is any risk with 'unknown' transistors (to the circuit).
Let's say I build an overdrive with NPN transistor, can I put any NPN transistor (like I've never seen in any guitar circuit, soviet NOS or used, etc.)?
I think, that as long as transistor is over 16V and over 0.25W, it's ok to use it, right?

Thanks in advance for any response  :)

PRR

Try it.

What can happen? Universe implode? Sky fall down?

I would point out that "known" transistors are 4 for a buck, and that debugging a "doesn't work!" problem is easier if you use known parts. But if you want to fool around, just do it.
  • SUPPORTER

Perrow

4 for a buck? You're not buying online then ;)

A few bucks on Tayda and you'll have enough transistors to experiment for a long time. You won't have any Russian but many "known".
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

pinkjimiphoton

pretty much an npn is an npn. don't get too hung up on numbers. if you can get it to bias, it WILL work.

and if in doubt, in a fuzz, just ground the emitter. you'll get max gain outta the transistor, and it's easier to get it to bias sometimes than floating it above ground potential (tho a smallish resistor can save ya a lotta grief with rfi and hash)
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr