ID these vintage components

Started by upspoon12, October 25, 2014, 07:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

upspoon12

Hey guys,

Just gutted an old transistor radio and am have never seen the parts in the middle, funny egg and long shaped looking tropical fish type things.

Anyone have any idea what they are?

analogguru

QuoteAnyone have any idea what they are?

yes. they are ceramic (tube)-capacitors - color coding in pF, e.g. orange-orange-brown = 330pF.

Arcane Analog

Quote from: upspoon12 on October 25, 2014, 07:12:41 PMAnyone have any idea what they are?

They are now garbage as is most if not all of that lot.

armdnrdy

"ID these vintage components"

Is there a prize?  :icon_lol:
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

anotherjim

The 3 "eggs" look like Tantalum electro caps to me.
You have some nice ge transistors and diodes, but the AF series (4 wire) probably have developed internal shorts to the can - they may still be usable if you don't connect the can/ground wire.

Gus

Why did you take the radio apart?

StephenGiles

Quote from: Arcane Analog on October 25, 2014, 07:44:00 PM
Quote from: upspoon12 on October 25, 2014, 07:12:41 PMAnyone have any idea what they are?

Why do you say that?
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

upspoon12

found it in on the curb of my neighbours house and wanted to take it apart take out the electronics use the speaker and turn it into a tabletop guitar amp.

awesome thanks for the id. I figured they were caps of some kind wasn't 100% though.

the transistors and diodes i thought were a nice score. Waiting on a tester from china that i've seen on the board in several posts to see if these are still in spec,

Arcane Analog

Quote from: StephenGiles on October 26, 2014, 12:21:25 PM
Quote from: Arcane Analog on October 25, 2014, 07:44:00 PM

Why do you say that?

Why? None of the components have much for leads. Why bother using something that will be a major pain to install when you can buy brand new components with full leads? To purchase new resistors, capacitors, diodes, etc would cost pennies. Why risk the frustration of building something with ancient used components when they are not going to do or add anything that a new component will not? The transistors, especially the black glass, are probably garbage now or will be when they are soldered again.   

Don't get me wrong, mojo is fun, but used mojo is a different story. There is not a single component in this lot that cannot be replaced with a new component.

PRR

> turn it into a tabletop guitar amp.

So leave the guts as-is. It already WAS an audio amplifier. As good an amp as could be built with these parts.

Usually you can disconnect the top lead to the Volume control pot, wire top and bottom of pot to a jack, and play.

With those short leads on Ge devices, I doubt they can be soldered without spoiling the germanium.

Shame, because OC75 was a pretty beefy output device.
  • SUPPORTER

mykaitch

Hmm. Did these come out of a De Lorean?

Bad thing is, I know em all and probably used  em all too.
Lot of germanium there ...
We used to spin OC71s in the end of a drill. There was a sort of gel inside that would go clear and then we had a photo-transistor, of sorts.

upspoon12

haha awesome! germanium is alright in my books. some of these transistors have 4 leads too the 114, 115.

It came out of an old everready Space Twin transistor radio i'm pretty sure it originated in south africa

mykaitch

You have a couple of OC75 germanium transistors
A bunch of other transistors, prob the audio and rf stages
Caps at bottom are prob ceramic disc
Resistors bottom right.
Silver things are Suffx capacitors (always fail.)
Things with stripes across are also caps - there is a standard colour code.
200uf caps at top, psu HT
and a couple of rf chokes
On the right,diodes germanium.
Put together you could make a wireless ;D