Potentiometer + fixed resistor law

Started by StephenGiles, October 26, 2014, 08:51:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StephenGiles

Has anyone come accross a website providing an alternative pot law finder? For instance circuit requires 250k log with 1meg fixed resistor accross wiper to outer terminal - what value resistor would be required with 470k log to produce similar law??
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

R.G.

Unfortunately, the necessary requirement is math.

I did all the graphs on "The Secret Life of Pots" from writing out the voltage divider equation for a pot with a resistor from CW terminal to wiper and another from CCW terminal to wiper. I called the CW to wiper resistor Rtop ad the CCW to wiper Rbot. I split the pot into resistance above the wiper and below the wiper, and called the "bottom" part of the pot Rpot*(alpha), the top part of the pot Rpot*(1-alpha) where alpha is the percentage of rotation, going from 0 to 1. I then wrote the equations for the wiper voltage in terms of these resistances. With that equation, I could call Rtop beta*Rpot and Rbot gamma*Rpot, and have an equation with only alpha (the rotation), beta (the relation of Rtop to Rpot) and gamma (the relation of Rbot to Rpot) and Rpot itself, which I called "one". Setting beta and gamma to some values between just zero and infinity and using alpha as an independent variable gave the plots. In most cases I set beta or gamma to very, very high; this made Rtop or Rbot be substantially infinite.

After that, plug the equation into a spreadsheet and tell it to plot the results for alpha between 0 and 1 in whatever steps I liked.

Quite a lot of an engineering undergraduate education consists of either learning to do that process, or using it as a presumed basic skill.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

StephenGiles

Thanks RG..........it's trial and error then for me ::) I gave up maths in 1964 when I left school!!

ah and I've been a humble accountant ever since - don't need maths for that!! :icon_biggrin:
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

tubegeek

Quote from: R.G. on October 26, 2014, 09:09:08 AM
Quite a lot of an engineering undergraduate education consists of either learning to do that process, or using it as a presumed basic skill.

Other than this, the rest consists of fashion tips.
"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

GibsonGM

Quote from: tubegeek on October 26, 2014, 12:36:12 PM
Quote from: R.G. on October 26, 2014, 09:09:08 AM

Other than this, the rest consists of fashion tips.

..and learning how to write in that ubiquitous neat script...
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...