Devi Ever Hyperion Fuzz Debug

Started by mow, October 27, 2014, 07:36:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mow

Hey guys, it´s me again  ::)

I tried to build the Hyperion Fuzz yesterday, but it does not make any sound at all!

I used the schematic shown here: http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.de/2012/03/devi-ever-hyperion.html

I did everything like it´s shown in the schematic, except, i used a 2n3244 Transistor instead of the 2n2907A.
I´m not completely sure, if i got the E B C thing right on that one, cause you cant find alot about that transistor.

I´ve also been wondering, why lug 1 of the intense pot, doesn´t go to ground? I thought that lug 1 always goes to ground.

I already audio probed it, and found nothing of interest (i think)

But i got a ground(?) buzz, when i touched the output on the output jack.

I hope you can help me ;)

Greets

deadastronaut

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

mow

Alright :D

I saw the Datasheet, but couldn´t see the drawing for the E B C.

So, it does sort of work now, i get volume, i get fuzz, but there is a strange pulsating noise coming out.
What could that be?

Greets

R.G.

Quote from: mow on October 27, 2014, 09:02:09 AM
So, it does sort of work now, i get volume, i get fuzz, but there is a strange pulsating noise coming out.
What could that be?
It *could be* anything from the metallic-ion contamination of the circuit board substrate to the menu at the local restaurant.

We could be a lot more help if you would read and follow the instructions in the debugging thread - the one what's permanently stuck at the top of this forum that starts off "Debugging: what to do when it doesn't work".

Now that I've looked at the schematic, "design" seems a little too strong a word for the Hyperion. The schematic shows that it will be quite sensitive to component variations, and quite possibly not very stably biased. The input device is the highest-gain bipolar device I know of that's commercially available, and there's a lot of unwanted feedback paths. Unless the power supply is well-bypassed close to the actual devices, it's going to be prone to a variety of ills. These could include that pulsating, which might be motorboating, and might be squarks of self-RF-oscillation. Can't tell without more data - hence "what to do when it doesn't work".

Get out your meter.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

duck_arse

another datasheet, with diagram.

http://pdf.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheet_pdf/motorola/2N3244.pdf

on that style transistor case, the little tag sticking off the side is called "the emitter tag", for good reason.
don't make me draw another line.

mow

Jesus guys I´m very sorry, that I didnt reply in such a long time!

Been very busy the last few weeks  :-[

But:

I finally bought some 2n2907A trannies (shipping more than anything else :/ ) and put them in place of the 2n3244.

So, it does sound like a Hyperion now, i don´t get any of that pulsating weirdness from the amp, but I still get extreme buzzing. If i roll the Volume on my guitar completely off, it´s silent, but as soon as i turn the Volume up, i get that stark buzzing again.

I think it might have to do with something not being grounded properly but I´m not sure.
I´m a bit confused, because according to the Diagram, lug 1 of the Intensity pot doesn´t go to ground but to the copper strip below.

I thought that lug 1 always goes to ground?

Greetings and thank you very much for helping me!

nocentelli

Lug 1 does go to ground, but via that 1k resistor. If it went direct to ground, the intensity pot would mute the input signal at minimum setting: Volume pots almost always ground lug 1, since it seems intuitive that the minimum setting on a volume control should be silence.
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

bluesdevil

About the buzzing:
Do you have the circuit boxed up? Single coil pups? Any fluorescent lights on nearby?
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

mow

No, its not boxed up yet; is that a problem with her "designs"? :D

Tried both Humbuckers and Single Coils, no difference. Also no fluorescent lights nearby.

Would a sound sample help? Or should i just box it up and see if it works?

Greets

bluesdevil

If everything is working as it should, I would go ahead and box it up to see if the buzzing stops. If it doesn't help, you probably have something not grounded properly and you can take it from there.
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy