Problem with GGG Tycobrahe Octavia Build

Started by Brian S, October 27, 2014, 09:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian S

Before I start, this is my first big pedal build. I've modded a Boss DS1, a Crybaby Wah and built a GGG ABY pedal (they all work fine). My experience is limited and I am no electronics wizard by any means.

I built the Octavia on a piece of cardboard so if it didn't work I could tinker with it. I bought the kit that has 2 foot switches. When I got it all together it worked but it had some unexplained noise that I attributed to it not being in the enclosure.  Once I put it in the box it stopped producing any effect sound.  It bypasses into the amp and when I press the switch buttons the LEDs light up but I am not getting anything but a clear guitar sound going into the amp. Turned the pot knobs in different positions and still nothing. Checked all my solder joints and nothing came loose. Anyone give me some advice on what my next step should be? Thanks for any help,

Brian

PRR

> When I got it all together it worked
> Once I put it in the box it stopped producing any effect sound.

So what went wrong when you put it in the box?

And Welcome.
  • SUPPORTER

jsleep

Hi Brian,

If you have  a clean signal when the pedal is engaged, the first thing I would look at is your wiring.  It would be hard to believe that the signal is getting anywhere near the circuit and still be clean  :icon_biggrin:  Maybe your wiring to the switch isn't quite right.

JD Sleep
General Guitar Gadgets
For great Stompbox projects visit http://www.generalguitargadgets.com

duck_arse

the ggg version would be a positive ground, yes? did you use a daisy chained wall wart supply?
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

jsleep

Quote from: duck_arse on October 28, 2014, 10:10:15 AM
the ggg version would be a positive ground, yes? did you use a daisy chained wall wart supply?

No, ours is negative ground.

JD
For great Stompbox projects visit http://www.generalguitargadgets.com

duck_arse

ahh, I see my error, I have a copy of your "original" next to a copy of your "updated, modernised" diagrams. pardon.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

Brian S

Quote from: jsleep on October 28, 2014, 07:42:59 AM
Hi Brian,

If you have  a clean signal when the pedal is engaged, the first thing I would look at is your wiring.  It would be hard to believe that the signal is getting anywhere near the circuit and still be clean  :icon_biggrin:  Maybe your wiring to the switch isn't quite right.

JD Sleep
General Guitar Gadgets

Thanks for the help from all other responders. After I went back and started looking at everything I found I had the diodes pointing the wrong way.  Of course I busted one of them trying to remove it so now I have to wait for more to come in. I am going to rewire it all again. So I will update when I get another diode and redo everything. Thanks again. Brian

Brian S

I finally got around to getting back into this pedal today. I took every wire off of it and redid it again. It works now but I need to play with a little more. Thanks for the help provided.