Madbean shopping spree

Started by dadler, October 27, 2014, 11:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dadler

Hi all-

So I just discovered the community of DIY effects in the last two months--not sure how I was naive to this hobby for so long--but geez is this an addictive game =P

Anyways I just received a bunch of boards from Brian @ Madbean, I'm sure it will take me a while to get through these (and the Electric Mistress and Mutron III boards I just separately ordered from him on impulse, and the 15? BYOC kits and 10? GGG kits I have in the queue). 4 completed so far, lots left to build and powder coat.

Anyways, here is a pic of the PCBs, quote colorful. The quality on these PCBs is spectacular, very nice through-hole plating, nice layouts.

Just thought I would share, in case anyone wonders what the current boards from Madbean look like. Their site is void of photos of the actual PCBs.

I'll post the EM and Mutron III boards when I get them, if anyone is interested.

D

bluebunny

Nice photo.

I've built a bunch of Madbean stuff.  Brian's boards are indeed very good.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Kipper4

+1 ^ me too. I like Brian's boards.
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

Scruffie

If you click on the thumbnails next to the build doc on the ordering page most of the projects have a photo of the PCB  :)

Brian's boards are indeed very good and the forum has a great community with many other companies with sub-forums offering PCBs too.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Scruffie on October 28, 2014, 11:26:14 AM
Brian's boards are indeed very good and the forum has a great community with many other companies with sub-forums offering PCBs too.

For SURE! I also hear that somewhere on there you can get some GREAT PCBs of the Small Clone chorus and A/DA Flanger!  ;)
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Scruffie

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on October 28, 2014, 11:35:03 AM

For SURE! I also hear that somewhere on there you can get some GREAT PCBs of the Small CLone chorus and A/DA Flanger!  ;)
I heard it was the clone theory ;)

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Scruffie on October 28, 2014, 11:41:24 AM
Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on October 28, 2014, 11:35:03 AM

For SURE! I also hear that somewhere on there you can get some GREAT PCBs of the Small CLone chorus and A/DA Flanger!  ;)
I heard it was the clone theory ;)

Small Clone... Clone Theory.... either way... I heard it was a GREAT board!  :icon_twisted:
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

dadler

If you click on the thumbnails next to the build doc on the ordering page most of the projects have a photo of the PCB  :)

Oh geez. I never even though to click on those small photos.

/Me

Thanks.

Anyways these boards are much higher quality than the others I have received from other vendors.

Madbean > BYOC > GGG

I hate the GGG plating. Looks like white tin. I have to use some steel wool or light sandpaper on the boards, else it seems I have to apply much more heat than I would like to get solder flow out. This is why GGG boards take me much longer to finish. I also don't really trust the through hole plating -- so I have been soldering both sides of the board most of the time, especially for wiring I want to attach from below when the traces are on the bottom.

Scruffie

Sounds like it might be lead free plating, tends to be a bit like that.

dadler

Quote from: Scruffie on October 28, 2014, 03:18:35 PM
Sounds like it might be lead free plating, tends to be a bit like that.

Sounds about right. I am no expert on this stuff.

He also includes solder with the kits (nice gesture?), which I inadvertently picked up mid-project, tried to use it, and immediately was reminded why I dislike lead-free solder with a passion. Bleh.

I'm not sure this thread has much of a point anymore, so sorry =P

D

Giglawyer

Great looking stuff.  I have been using a lot of guitarpcb.com boards lately.  Great stuff there as well.
Check out my builds - http://www.giglawyer.com

splice

You know that kind of dance you do when you really need to pee? Well, that's pretty much me right now, waiting for madbean to release those October projects... There's only 3 days left, FFS, they have to be available soon!

Scruffie

Quote from: splice on October 29, 2014, 10:31:26 AM
You know that kind of dance you do when you really need to pee? Well, that's pretty much me right now, waiting for madbean to release those October projects... There's only 3 days left, FFS, they have to be available soon!
Madbeans dates are just his best estimates of when he expects to have projects out, not set in stone and sometimes stuff comes late so... you might have to hold that pee tight for another month or two... maybe some elastic bands round the end of it?

splice

Damn, that's gonna hurt. Guess I'll keep holding it in. Thanks for the info.

bean

Sorry those guitar picks are not so great. I got a bunch of them for a little swag, but apparently the injection mold used was kinda hosed. So, now they are just giveaways :)

Thanks for the nice words.

nsteen

Yeah the madbean Fatpants (one I've been drooling over) was supposed to be out in August, then September, then November. The boards are awesome and reasonably priced so of course demand is going to be high - honestly I'm glad his stuff sells so well because I want to have access to it for as long as possible

aballen

Brian's makes some great boards.  I'll bet 1/2 my builds are based on his boards.  His build docs are outstanding too.  You have enough to keep you busy for a pretty long time.
So many builds, I just can't list them anymore.