You All Wire your 3PDTs Wrong

Started by Arcane Analog, October 29, 2014, 04:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcane Analog

It has come to my attention that I, along with everyone else on the planet, have been wiring my 3PDT true bypass switching wrong. If you are not wiring it with this scheme, you are wrong.

Bill Mountain

Quote from: Arcane Analog on October 29, 2014, 04:45:35 PM
It has come to my attention that I, along with everyone else on the planet, have been wiring my 3PDT true bypass switching wrong. If you are not wiring it with this scheme, you are wrong.

Says who?

What's special about this wiring?

It just looks like it grounds the input on bypass.

I just got into designing my own switching schemes.  I was tired of being clueless and just wiring them up paint-by-numbers-style.

Arcane Analog

Quote from: Bill Mountain on October 29, 2014, 05:00:23 PM

Says who?

What's special about this wiring?

It just looks like it grounds the input on bypass.

I just got into designing my own switching schemes.  I was tired of being clueless and just wiring them up paint-by-numbers-style.

I dunno - the Master of 3PDT switches?  Aparently this is the ONLY way one should wire a 3PDT as every other method is more prone to failure. Wired this way, the in/out have to fail in two locations to render the bypass signal mute.

Edit: I personally build a lot of high gain devices and this would be a poor way of minimizing noise and oscillation. I have yet to have a switch fail but all switches will eventually fail. That said, I am obviously an amateur and I have no idea what I am talking about.

italianguy63

I use wiring boards to keep the pins from moving when soldering (which causes failures too).  I guess I'm screwed.   ::)
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

Arcane Analog

Quote from: italianguy63 on October 29, 2014, 05:07:43 PM
I use wiring boards to keep the pins from moving when soldering (which causes failures too).  I guess I'm screwed.   ::)

And most important, you are wrong! Haha.

therecordingart

EDIT: Worded wrong. I like grounding the input on high gain and stuff that oscillates, however, I like how Madbean does it better.

Arcane Analog

There are plenty of ways to ground the input without running the in/out wires beside each other.

italianguy63

Quote from: Arcane Analog on October 29, 2014, 05:08:48 PM
Quote from: italianguy63 on October 29, 2014, 05:07:43 PM

And most important, you are wrong! Haha.

:P
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

slacker

Yeah input and output wire crossing might be a bad idea in high gain situations, arguably harder to wire than the conventional methods.

Arcane Analog

It is a poor method for a number of circuits - high gain being the easy one.

bean

alanp

"If it's stupid and it works, it's not stupid."

electrosonic

Quotethe in/out have to fail in two locations

What is the most common failure mode of a 3pdt switch?. Does one contact not switch or something else?

Andrew
  • SUPPORTER

Arcane Analog

Quote from: electrosonic on October 29, 2014, 07:32:10 PM
Quotethe in/out have to fail in two locations

What is the most common failure mode of a 3pdt switch?. Does one contact not switch or something else?

Andrew

I do not bother to test a switch to see where it went bad. If the switch is faulty I just replace them by default. The most common for a failure in my experience is soldering technique - too much heat for too long. If the lug is easily moved it is a safe bet it has been cooked.

deadastronaut

i use telepathy to turn my pedals on/off...buffered by beta waves from my  sub concious :)

works for me, unless i get distracted by my cat.. :)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

italianguy63

deadastronaut

yeah, which is inevitable...mow....mow.... ::)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

GGBB

Quote from: Arcane Analog on October 29, 2014, 05:05:56 PM
Wired this way, the in/out have to fail in two locations to render the bypass signal mute.

Yes ... but then we would never know about the first failure, and be using a faulty switch until a second failure occurs.  I suppose this at least extends the functional period of the pedal should either of those two locations be the first to fail (33% chance), but if we're talking normal end of life failure (not premature), then that might not be all that long.  Gotta mull this one over a bit.
  • SUPPORTER

duck_arse

ha ha! us dpdt users got no-one telling us what to how.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: slacker on October 29, 2014, 05:22:30 PM
Yeah input and output wire crossing might be a bad idea in high gain situations, arguably harder to wire than the conventional methods.

Using multiple poles to go from Input jack to Output jack when bypassed might cause issues too.  ::)
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'