You All Wire your 3PDTs Wrong

Started by Arcane Analog, October 29, 2014, 04:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seedlings

duck_arse

You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

GGBB

Quote from: Arcane Analog on October 30, 2014, 10:31:37 PM
The main problem for me is routing. I would never run in/out signals in proximity. I much prefer "in" on one side and "out" on the other and you can still ground the input.

At some point, the in and out need to be beside each other on a pole so that you can actually bypass the pedal.  Whether you get them there via direct connection or by a jumper wire, you still have to end up there so I don't see how that matters, as long as that is as close as they ever get.  But two connections thus two paths and crossing over each other both concern me.  Then again, not a lot of high-gain experience to go on.

I'm favoring this way now because it keeps the wires out of the inside of the switch.  I make sure the in and out wires get routed away from each other coming away from the switch:

• SUPPORTER

vigilante397

Quote from: Arcane Analog on October 30, 2014, 08:19:26 PM
...an expert has told me this is all wrong.

Are we allowed to ask who said expert is? I would be interested to know who has the authority to make such a definitive statement.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

Arcane Analog

Quote from: GGBB on October 31, 2014, 10:11:24 AM
At some point, the in and out need to be beside each other on a pole so that you can actually bypass the pedal.  

The point is routing - you can keep the "in" on one side and the "out" on the other. Those leads never need to run on the same side of the switch. Running them on the same side introduces issues that need not be present. Below is an example although there are others. Note that the bottom bridge does not need to be overlapping.

nocentelli

That's how i do it - nice looking, logical, symmetrical.
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

armdnrdy

I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Arcane Analog

Quote from: vigilante397 on October 31, 2014, 11:29:44 AM

Are we allowed to ask who said expert is? I would be interested to know who has the authority to make such a definitive statement.

This is the best part. This fellow does not really have any kind of body of work to view. He does not build pedals - he is a repairman. Since he sees all of the failed pedals on his bench he develpoed the correct method of wiring a switch.

For the record, I am not advocating that any one method is the correct method. There is a trade off. It is a personal preference. This fellow is simply a pompous blow-hard with an axe to grind against builders.

seedlings

Quote from: Arcane Analog on October 31, 2014, 11:54:21 AM
Quote from: vigilante397 on October 31, 2014, 11:29:44 AM

This is the best part. This fellow does not really have any kind of body of work to view. He does not build pedals - he is a repairman. Since he sees all of the failed pedals on his bench he develpoed the correct method of wiring a switch.

For the record, I am not advocating that any one method is the correct method. There is a trade off. It is a personal preference. This fellow is simply a pompous blow-hard with an axe to grind against builders.

Oops.  I thought OP was being funny.    :-*  :icon_cry:

Oh, and the wrong way I do it is the same as

Quote from: Arcane Analog on October 31, 2014, 11:36:22 AM
Below is an example although there are others. Note that the bottom bridge does not need to be overlapping.

CHAD

Arcane Analog

Quote from: nocentelli on October 31, 2014, 11:40:38 AM
That's how i do it - nice looking, logical, symmetrical.

I would add that it is extremely easy for the pedal owner to understand if they want to repair or replace the switch themselves, it (potentially) keeps the leads nice and short and segregated (in/out), it is easy to wire and is a neat and tidy method.

GGBB

The point is routing - you can keep the "in" on one side and the "out" on the other. Those leads never need to run on the same side of the switch. Running them on the same side introduces issues that need not be present. Below is an example although there are others. Note that the bottom bridge does not need to be overlapping.

What are those issues?

They don't need to be beside each other on the diagram I previously referenced either.  The In Jack wire can be on the top side of the switch instead of the right (EDIT: or even at the bottom off the center pole).  I merely drew it that way for prettiness.  

And for the record, the diagram you referenced actually looks to be an edited copy of another one I drew some time ago:

• SUPPORTER

TheBigMan

That's quite a come-down, from "I am right and everyone is wrong" to "apparently" and now to "it was someone else who told me and he's a d-bag" (or translated into Scottish, A Big Boy Did It and Ran Away).

For the record I've never broken a 3PDT nor had one returned to me as broken, had a good few Alpha DPDTs break in ye olden times before 3PDTs became easy to get in Europe.

Arcane Analog

Quote from: GGBB on October 31, 2014, 12:26:24 PM

What are those issues?

They don't need to be beside each other on the diagram I previously referenced either.  The In Jack wire can be on the top side of the switch instead of the right (EDIT: or even at the bottom off the center pole).  I merely drew it that way for prettiness.  

And for the record, the diagram you referenced actually looks to be an edited copy of another one I drew some time ago:

That is definitely the diagram. Can't remember where I stole it from - all due credit to you though.

Issues = noise and oscillation. High gain circuits in particular.

Arcane Analog

Quote from: TheBigMan on October 31, 2014, 12:28:23 PM
That's quite a come-down, from "I am right and everyone is wrong" to "apparently" and now to "it was someone else who told me and he's a d-bag" (or translated into Scottish, A Big Boy Did It and Ran Away).

For the record I've never broken a 3PDT nor had one returned to me as broken, had a good few Alpha DPDTs break in ye olden times before 3PDTs became easy to get in Europe.

This post is confusing - what are you talking about?

mremic01

Is this thread tongue-in-cheek? I can't even tell.

I do it like GGBB's "Circuit Input Grounded" diagram, but I also connect the output jack lug directly to the bypass lug below it for a little bit of redundancy and so the bypassed signal only has to pass through the switch's guts once instead of twice.

But of course, there is only one correct way to do things. All other ways are wrong and will fail. If you don't do it my way, your builds suck and are only ok for bedroom playing where you've got a soldering iron on hand to fix problems with WILL happen because you did it wrong. If you sold a build, it will come back you when the buyer inevitably breaks it mid-gig, destroying their entire career. And it will all be your fault. Because you wired your 3PDT the wrong way.
Nyt brenhin gwir, gwr y mae reit idaw dywedut 'y brenhin wyf i'.

italianguy63

This thread is circling the drain.

::)
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

Mark Hammer

I hate to be the one to break it to people, but somebody's gotta do it: ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US.

And.....this video:

slacker

Below is an example although there are others. Note that the bottom bridge does not need to be overlapping.

If you use the mysterious 3PDT expert's criteria, then this is about the worst possible way to wire a switch. There's a 4 in 9 chance of a single failure taking out your bypass signal and a 2 in 9 chance that it takes out both signals.

Won't somebody think of the children :D

midwayfair

Quote from: TheBigMan on October 31, 2014, 12:28:23 PM

It was pretty obvious from the first post that he was being sarcastic and someone told him he was wiring switches wrong.
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

David

Quote from: Mark Hammer on October 31, 2014, 01:25:09 PM
I hate to be the one to break it to people, but somebody's gotta do it: ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US.

And.....this video:

Nope...  NO ONE gets MY base...