EHX Holy Stain mod for bass? is it even possible?

Started by Bourbon, October 30, 2014, 12:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bourbon

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=91016.0 contains many pics of the board

I used this thread to do some great mods to my Holy Stain. And it sounds great with my guitars, but I primarily play bass now. This pedal was never meant for that.

I am wondering of anyone knows if or how this can be modded to work with a bass. Does anyone have any ideas or experience with which capacitors or resostors should be swapped?

I already email EHX for assistance or a schematic and got the default "we do not condone mods to our pedals" response. I fully expected it, but thought it was worth a shot.

Thanks in advance!

composition4

What do you mean "doesn't work with" bass? Does it cut too much bass from the signal? Sometimes this is done because bassy sounds and clipping can sound bad and farty.

Anyway , take a look on FSB (The OTHER forum) at the third page of the thread titled Electro Harmonix - Holy Stain [GUT SHOTS]

You'll need to be a registered member there to see the schematics.  You'd basically want to increase cap values or resistor values of anything that'll form a high pass filter, and also hope that there's no digital filtering from the DSP that'll cut the bass down.

Jonathan

Bourbon

Thanks. I put up a post in that thread. Hopefully it gets a response. I would really like to use this with my bass and have it sound good. As you said, it cuts the lows and sounds farty. Im really new to this. I cN follow directions (ie: Replace C30 with a x.xx uf cap) but tracing and understanding the board and schematic is still a learning process. Thanks for the input!