Building an attenuator?

Started by IanEric.com, October 30, 2014, 08:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IanEric.com

Happy to find this forum and the resources available!

I'm am looking to buy (build - because I can't find what I want!) an attenuator (-15dB, or adjustable) that can be used with 1/4" cables (either TRS or TS cables).

This is to step down an output.  The output has a +22dB max at peak, I need it to be +8 maximum.

For those that care WHY I'm doing this, read on.  Here's the setup:

I am a solo acoustic performer, and I use a Bose L1 Compact for my PA.  I'm going to buy a second unit (10% off sale starts November 1st for anyone interested!), so I have one for backup and also for more power when I need it.

I am NOT going to be running them stereo, because splitting my signals is a pain and I'm just not going to do that.  Bose actually recommends that a "daisy chain" arrangement is perfectly acceptable (and some users have even reported it sounds BETTER), where the 1/4" TRS/TS output from one Compact can be used to feed the 1/4" input of the second unit, amounting to a master/slave arrangement.

Now here's where the pad/attenuator comes in:

I already own a Line6 Relay G30 guitar wireless system.  It's a full 1/4"-based system.  Got my wheels turning, so I asked on the Line6 forums and YES, I CAN use the wireless to send my signal from one Bose to the other, and the consensus is it will work beautifully.  This is awesome - I can run a second PA system and send signals to it wirelessly!

BUT - the Line6 tech recommends making sure the voltage INTO the belt-pack transmitter be kept to a max of +8dB, or I will incur clipping.  The Bose system's output has a range of output from +2.2 to +20dB max.  Obviously, +20 is a bad number here.  So I need to attenuate that with a -15dB pad to send a clean, clear, unclipped signal through the wireless to the other Bose.

I am having a very hard time finding attenuators for 1/4" input/output.  Everything is XLR, or at least XLR on one end.  If all else fails, I'll do this with some adapters and one of those XLR/TRS attenuators, but it seems sloppy.  I like simple and clean.  A stomp-box style attenuator, an inline unit; I don't care.  I'd just like something that has proper 1/4" in and out if at all possible.

So that's the story.  Any ideas?

Can anyone help?

PRR

It's just two resistors.

But you need to know *impedances*........ ah, I see Bose' documentation omits any useful information.

Use a 5K linear pot. Adjust to suit.

• SUPPORTER

IanEric.com

Yes, the only info I have is that the output range is +2.2 dB to +20dB peak.  And that the Line 6 belt pack should see no more than +8dB.  No impedances given for each.....but the use of -15dB was recommended by a Line 6 rep, with no other info, so I have to assume the generic "inline" style would suffice....

I was already considering a DIY with a pot, but I must admit I'm really clueless.  I grasp the concept and know I can build something, but a diagram would REALLY help if you or anyone else would care to hook a brother up....

Also:  I am still considering an inline pad.  Truth is, with the proper XLR-to-TRS cables (one XLR-F to TRS male, one XLR-M to TRS female, and XLR attenuator between them), it really wouldn't be incredibly awkward.  Any particular reason this shouldn't work if I can find a -15dB inline attenuator?

amptramp

A linear pot like PRR suggested would be OK and the line capacitances should not be so high that you need to buffer the output.

GGBB

• SUPPORTER

IanEric.com

The Parts Express inline is exactly what I decided to go with.

My original "concern" was going from TRS to XLR, and back again.  Not because of signal problems, but because I'm a little OCD and I like things clean and simple.  But I decided to buy the XLR attenuator, as well as some proper TRS-to-XLR cables, and just roll with that.  It should work well and won't be as cluttered up by adapters as I originally believed it might be....

Thanks!

IanEric.com

Well, this isn't exactly stomp box related anymore, but I did want to update:  I received all my new gear today, and the inline attenuator works perfectly well, as does the wireless setup! 

Using a Line6 Relay G30 as a wireless transmitter to daisy-chain Bose L1 Compact PA systems works AMAZINGLY well.  Great sound, no delay.  This will really expand my flexibility when needing a second PA for my live performances.