Behringer Vintage Time Machine mods [questions]

Started by ramonovski, November 01, 2014, 09:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramonovski

Hello there, passive reader posting for the first time here.

I'm looking to do the "infinite repeats" mod to my Behringer VTM as explained in this video: http://youtu.be/kVAdgcX_Hnk?list=UUGhzS1GbX-yxyBrUJtnUMoA  But when I'm testing it, the self oscillation comes really fast and after ~2 seconds I have to stop it.
So, is there something I can add to that "mod" so the self-oscillation can act a little bit less crazy? Like a built-in limiter/compressor? I'm not expecting to have a "hold" type of sound, it would be awesome though.

Also, I'll be replacing the switch for a 3pdt-like switch, this one might be really easy.

Any other mod ideas you have for a pedal with a lot of room?

I guess a tap tempo circuit would be too much... right?  ::)

Thanks!

Mark Hammer

The gutshots I'm seeing here - http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/guitar/acapella-29/1731347- - suggest that you may be out of luck.  Some of the reissue DMMs, on which this is based, have trimpots for adjusting the gain of the BBD sections, but this appears not to.

One of the mods I'm fond of doing is to add a little bit of shallow lowpass filtering to the feedback loop.  That tends to make repeats less obnoxious, by elimiating the audio grime that accumulates with each pass through the BBDs.  On the other hand, that hi-cut poses an obstacle to endless repeats, since it takes a bit of amplitude from the signal on each repeat.

Technically, it is possible to limit the feedback signal via appropriate placement of diodes to clip it.  At the same time, the loss of fidelity that happens on each pass through the BBDs is most assuredly not going to be helped by those diodes, so I don't see it as a solution to your dilemma.

The other thing is that, although there are a number of thru-hole components on the board, the points of intervention to mod for a "tamer" infinite repeat would appear to all be on the surface-mount side of things.  Not really recommended for a beginner.

Supernaut_

Resurrecting an old thread, I know, but wanted to try here if anybody's familiar with true bypassing the VM1.

So I've been modding the VM1 closer to DMM specs and want to add a new 3PDT footswitch and wire it for true bypass. This schematic can be found on "the other stompbox building site":

However, it uses the original VM1 footswitch and loses the led indication in the process. So my question is, if I disconnect X6 pin 1 and X7 pins 4 & 5, wire X7 pin 1 to effect return, X7 pin 2 to output, X7 pin 3 to effect send, X8 pin 1 to input, and then install a new led in series with, for example a 1.8k or a 2k resistor and a new ground wire to the 3DPT switch, would this wiring work with the new 3DPT?